2004 Sport Trac XLT dies?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Sport Trac XLT dies??

iraiam

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Sport Track
Hi all,

I have a problem I would like some advice on. Recently my 04 Explorer Sport Trac began dying randomly. It will re-start but as soon as I put it into drive it dies immediately.

The check engine light is not on, until after it dies, after I start again the lights go out and all appears normal until I put it in drive again.. it dies. While running in park or neutral I give it gas and the engine will not go above about 2500 RPM and stutters badly.

My first thought was mass air flow sensor, so I unplugged the sensor and started the engine, symptoms were unchanged but the check engine light did not come on, still dies when put in drive. I would have thought the check engine light should come on here because the air flow sensor was unplugged.

Got it towed home and the next day started to look at it and the problem was gone. Runs fine, no trouble codes in memory. Now I duplicate the experiment, I unplugged the mass air flow sensor and start the engine, engine will only go to 2500 RPM and stutters badly, but now the check engine light comes on, put it in drive and the engine will stay running now.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need more info??? Mileage, tune up history, etc... The engine has a rev limiter to keep you from over revving the engine in park or neutral so that's normal. The computer takes a couple cycles to read something like you unplugging the MAF. Have you ever cleaned the IAC module, MAF, throttle body or EGR valve? Fuel filter? Could be as simple as the PCV elbow, extremely common issue that causes these symptoms.

135K miles
Tune ups are regular (out of self defense to keep the MPG up)
EGR valve has been cleaned and replaced once, caught it during a tune up.
Fuel filter has been replaced, but not lately.

IAC has been cleaned before but i'm looking at it again in the morning, all data listed it as possible cause.

I don't know what the RPM limit actually is, but when it runs normally I can easily rev the engine past 2500 RPM in park and neutral with no stuttering at all. When it acts up trying to rev past about 2500, it stutters badly.

Thanks

Ok, clean the IAC and check the PCV elbow. You'll need to take it off to really check it, they crack, usually on the bottom where you can't feel or see it without removal. There's two rubber elbow hoses that go into the side of the throttle body, check both to be sure. It's the bigger of the two that usually cracks. Also try spraying salt water or glass cleaner on each spark plug wire closest to the plays, you could have a bad wire/s arcing and not know it. I just replaced four of the because of this (engine was bucking and wanting to die out when revving). Back in March of '10 I installed a new coil pack (doa) when tune up and it caused what you are describing, put the original back on and all was good. There's alot of little things it could be on these newer motors. Check the common, cheap things out first, usually it's one of those.

Keep us posted... My truck just shut off on me while trying to climb a hill. I stopped at an odd angle with the truck leaning alot for a picture and it shut off. I rolled back down the hill and started it and it has ran fine since, so I don't know if it was just the hill or the start of your problem.

Sporttr4c, change your fuel filter.

I haven't found anything yet.

The IAC valve was not really even dirty, one side of it was spotless and the other port was just discolored and that wiped right off, I also checked the action of the valve. PCV checked out as well.

It's been several days and a couple hundred miles since it acted up. I'm due for an oil change next weekend, so I'll do the fuel filter then with the rest of the PM.

Back