2004 Sport trac | Page 4 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

2004 Sport trac

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Fixed the thermometer and compass, where is the sender for the temp, it seems to be off?
There are 2 for coolant temp. One for computer, and, one for gauge.

The gauge sender usually has one wire.
The "engine coolant temp sensor has 2.

For more accurate temp readings , a scangauge II works great. It also monitors trans temp with a digital readout, many more gauges inside. With it you know exactly what coolant temp is

Edit, I misread. The outside temp sensor is indeed behind the bumper.

In the summertime it may read high on occasionally from various heat soak conditions.

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spetersen

Reaction score
City, State
Goshen
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Sport trac
I looked for the release handles under the tonneau cover, but I don't see them. Has anyone opened the cover from underneath?
I have seen that sensor, now I know what it is for, Thanks! I will look for a new one.

429CJ-3X2

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 & '02 Sport Tracs,

I had the same question a few months ago about a cover in the salvage yard. I ended up using needle nose pliers to grab the cable through an opening in the latch. You could grab the cable any place where the cable is exposed.

Turdle, your answer wasn't relevant to his question, but it answered one I have. I have a code on my '01 indicating the engine temp sensor for the computer is bad, but none of the listings I've seen from the parts stores or on ebay say which sensor is which. Thank you!

spetersen

Reaction score
City, State
Goshen
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Sport trac
The front lock feels like it works, but the catches don't release, it may just need some lube as in the other post, I'll try it and see

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
@BenII there is no message only a quote