2004 Sport Track - rear driver side noise / Vibration (not related to noise) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Sport Track - rear driver side noise / Vibration (not related to noise)

BTRKY

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello group. First post here.

I just purchased a 2004 Sport Track with 124K miles. It has a noise on the driver side rear, sort of a squeak/groan when moving.

So far, here is work done in last week (Not all related to this noise):

Had local Ford dealer do the following:
*4 New Tires (old one had a tire with slipped belt and was vibrating terribly)
*Right rear axle seal replaced (Originally thought this might be the noise)
*Engine rear main seal replaced.
*Pads and machined rotors front and rear (Had to do rear because of axel grease all over Right rear)
*Alignment, which they need to redo because the wheel isn't straight now and slight left pull.

So I get it back from the dealer and it still makes this groan/squeak. Not always, but mainly noticeable at low speeds and in parking lot turns. Kind of like a door hinge that needs lube, or a squeaky mattress. Kind of a "Urr-Urr" lower pitch noise.

I work for a large company that has a big truck mechanic shop. Today they put it on the lift for me and pulled the rear tires to take a look. We searched for everything we could and did not see any issues. Body bushings are OK - some deterioration, but can wait a bit. Shocks appear newish. Bearings seem fine and the noise was not heard when spinning the rears in neutral.

There is surprisingly little rust under this thing. One previous owner who took fairly good care of it.

I am starting to think this noise might be the leaf springs. I did a search here, but maybe didn't use the right terms, so I am wondering if this is a known issue. The spring bushings are not destroyed, but are not perfect either. The only real rust noticed under this thing is the leaf springs are completely rust colored.

Also, there is still a tiny vibration that wasn't totally eliminated by the new tires. I cannot pinpoint for sure, but think it is a right front tire not balanced well, but I have read there could be drive shaft vibrations??? Is the 2004 affected by that often?

Thanks for reading my first, and long, post!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll recheck the rear sway bar bushings. Is this a DIY project? Or are special tools or lift needed?

Noises..

I have a 2004 too, my mechanic says the noises are because of faulty leaf springs bushings...I have to buy both sets...If someone knows who sells both rear and front eye rubber encased bushings..we will appreciate it a lot...luck

I am interested in part recommendations as well. Also, is this a DIY project with home shop tools? Or better left to dealer?

^ Part recommendations and DIY projects for what? :scratch:

Rear sway bar end links are easy. Rather than chiseling or torching the bushings, upgrade them with
Moog replacements. Did you check? Just grab hold of them behind the tires and shake for looseness.
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k80788

Leaf springs can be a PITA depending on corrosion. Removing shackle and frame bushings can be VERY labor intensive.

See 2001-05 ST stickys. If nothing found, use "Search this Forum" or just ask. :thumbsup:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/projects.asp?PageHeader=Member

I was asking about the leaf spring bushings this time.

The rear sway links seem fine and look recently replaced.

I am starting to think that this noise is one of two things:

1 - a bearing, even though the dealer says they checked it.

2 - rear gears.

I also have a slight chatter or shudder when accelerating from stop. It is brief, but there every time. Stop sign, stop light.

Might be two different things, but after having three different mechanics look at it and not find any issues underneath, I don't know where to head next.

I've checked the body bushings, and although they are flaking, they are all intact.

The sound I hear, standing outside while someone else moves the truck, seems to come directly from the driver rear tire area.

This side has already had axle seal replaced, rotors machined, new pads and tires.

I soaked the springs with silicone spray this weekend, but this didn't seem to help.

The noise is there in forward motion or reverse motion, not constant though.

I leaning toward just getting the bearings done and go from there.

Parking brakes checked? Shoes often separate, although more of a light scraping sound. Dust shields also get bent.

Parking brakes checked? Shoes often separate, although more of a light scraping sound. Dust shields also get bent.

Yes. Parking brake looks new. Dust shield is perfect.

The underside of this thing is crazy clean. If there was a leak, or something broken, it would be easy to spot. Just a little peeling paint.

You have a limited slip differential, correct? Your question from the other 4:10 noise thread:
Did you change the rear-end oil and add the friction mod? Did that help?

I have the same issue, obviously more miles. but thinking that when they changed my rear left axle seal, they didn't put the modifier in it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443808
Does your invoice list XL-3? Binding clutch pack noise happens when turning. 4 oz. bottle is only $6.50 at the dealer.

Your question posted in the other thread.

Does your invoice list the XL-3? Binding clutch pack noise happens when turning. 4 oz. bottle is only $6.50 at the dealer.

"Replace Rear Axle Seal"
1- BRS*40* Seal
3 - 752 75W140
1 - 328 LS2

Don't see XL-3 listed.

So it should be as simple as pulling the fill plug and pouring in, or should I have to remove a little fluid to allow for the modifier?

U-joints. A squeaky, rhythmic noise you can hear at low speed. And a vibration.

U-joints. A squeaky, rhythmic noise you can hear at low speed. And a vibration.

U-Joints checked when the rear main seal was repaired and transmission dropped. U-joints are good. It isn't a rhythmic noise.

Optimal fill level is just below the fill plug on level ground. Drive around a few miles to warm the fluid and use a turkey baster or similar to remove before adding. FM is not pleasant smelling stuff, lucky it's only four ounces. Takes a little time to soak into the clutches and work. If that solves your noise issue I hope you let the dealer know about their screw up.

My gut is telling me bearings, even though when lifted, they feel solid.

I have a vibration in front at most speeds, and it is not constant. In other words, at 50mph, some times it will feel like an unbalanced tire, and other times at 50 mph, it is smooth.

In the rear, the noise is mostly noticeable at low speed (5mph), but is also not constant. There does feel like some vibration from the rear as well at some speeds.

Based of what I have seen (videos) and what I have done in the past on other cars, I feel like I can do the front bearings no problem.

Do you know if anyone sells the complete rear hub so I don't have to find someone to press the bearings for me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced the front bearings yesterday. Even though they felt solid and no rocking when the wheel was off the ground, the right front was shredded. I did have to wail on them pretty good to get them out, but it ended up being a fairly easy job. I also got the tires rebalanced and the alignment redone.

On the way to the rebalance and alignment, it was obviously the front bearing replacement did resolve the front end vibration.

However, I still have a vibration over 40mph. It feels like it is coming from the rear, as a the steering wheel is not transmitting the vibration to me. The vibration is felt through the seat and does shake the passenger seat if no one is in it. The vibration is not constant though. You can feel it at 50 mph one minute, and the next no. It seems that turning left makes it worse. I also can hear a "wub wub" sound. Like a tire out of balance. I have had the tires balanced twice and the rims checked. So something else is making a tire sound out of round.

I had the rear bearings checked by another shop Friday and they say they are fine. I am still thinking that the issue is a rear bearing that isn't exhibiting the looseness everyone associates with bearings.

Unless someone here can think of something else, I am going to have the rear bearings replaced regardless of if the mechanics think they need to be.

Back