2004 V8 O/D Off light flashing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 V8 O/D Off light flashing

I was able to find a few things online that look like they could be service manuals but they were incredibly confusing. Hoping someone has a link to the procedure that can help clarify what I'm trying to do. I have a multimeter so I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Greatly appreciate the helpful discussion thus far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So is there a link for the test I can do to get me heading toward figuring out I'd this is the solenoid?

Sorry, I have no link, other than my Ford Shop Manual. Helm, Inc. prints them. I wouldn't be without one, as info presented by others may be good, or may be bullshit. imp

I've been digging pretty hard for the past couple days. Would a Chilton's or Haynes manual have this info or is a ford shop manual the only place?

Found some YouTube videos and one guy in one of them stated that a TCC stuck in a certain position is a mechanical failure and not an electrical/electronic component failure. Thoughts on that statement?

I've been digging pretty hard for the past couple days. Would a Chilton's or Haynes manual have this info or is a ford shop manual the only place?

Found some YouTube videos and one guy in one of them stated that a TCC stuck in a certain position is a mechanical failure and not an electrical/electronic component failure. Thoughts on that statement?

I don't know much about Haynes, but had a Chilton's once which I found to be vague about details, something most important in troubleshooting today's nightmare designs.

Let's say the TCC solenoid mechanically stuck in either of it's two positions. The computer will "know" that: 1, the converter clutch is not engaging or disengaging, and 2, the solenoid which causes that action is drawing excessive current, and would thus throw a code telling something about that solenoid. Now let's say the computer detects proper operation of the solenoid, but the clutch is still not working, it will throw a code related to the clutch itself.

The Ford Shop manual contains step-by-step troubleshooting procedures based on the problem present, also giving electrical characteristics to be checked, such as solenoid coil resistance and voltages to be checked at various points. There is a site I saw once which offers free transmission troubleshooting specs, but we lost our computer and I no longer have the site. I'll try to find something related for you, need a little time.

Meanwhile, it sounds as though some of your issues are not related to the transmission, right? imp

Apparently I ordered this manual on the 5R55S transmission, forgot about it, just found it in the back of the Explorer. It is a complete troubleshooting and rebuild manual, 120 pages. Hope this helps you! imp

img00910.jpg

img01010.jpg

IMP, you are correct that some of my issues are not transmission-related. I've had a CEL that I've since learned is probably related to a battery failure I had last week due to me ignorantly leaving the ignition turned on overnight. Going to clean up the throttle body and then clear the codes and go from there.

Well I haven't had a chance to do the electrical diagnostic testing on this thing yet but I had a small, possibly, significant update from this weekend.

I was driving on a divided highway after stopping to get gas. Was doing roughly 55-65 MPH and........the TC locked and it drove completely normal. I had to slow down for a cloverleaf ramp to get onto an interstate so I assumed I'd lose it once I shifted out of O/D. Made the loop and accelerated onto the interstate to roughly 75 MPH and the TC locked again and it drove completely normal.

Since that particular time it has not done it again and I've had the usual error/error messages since then. Any opinions on whether this would indicate an electronic problem with the solenoid v. a mechanical problem with the TC clutch?

I don't know if it provides any info but it has me hopeful that I'm talking solenoid replacement.

While driving at speed, in 5th. gear, TCC is engaged, if you release the gas pedal, even momentarily, the TCC disengages. If speed has not dropped much, let's say you did this at 50 mph., slowly depressing the gas pedal will briing tach rpms up slowly, and the TCC will engage as that's happening. If you get back on the gas quickly, the rpms will jump up above normal cruising rpm, as TCC will not re-engage until you ease off throttle slightly, or speed picks up a fair amount.

So, when you entered the cloverleaf, if you let off the gas, the TCC unlocked right away. Trans. would stay in 5th. gear under those conditions on down to about 40 mph, then it would drop to 4th. gear, TCC still unlocked. If vehicle stays above 40 mph, no gass pedal, trans. will stay in 5th. gear, upon giving light pedal, rpms will increase until PCM tells TCC to engage, still in 5th. gear. imp

What error messages are you now getting? trans. related? Offhand, I will guess that TCC failure to engage is solenoid-caused 90% of the time. Usually the error will show that. A "TCC fail to engage (or disengage)" code does not necessarily mean the TCC is the cause of it. PCM simply calls it out, based on improper engine/input shaft speeds ratio. Those are THE SAME, when TCC is engaged, DIFFERENT when disengaged.

Still getting exactly the same error code. I just find it incredibly odd for the TCC to work randomly as it should if it were mechanical. I'd expect it to jump in and out of engagement often, or never engage at all, but not to just work one time randomly and then not do it again for several drives.

I'll make some progress eventually and update, just wanted to share the weird experience and see if it mattered to anyone.

These solenoid blocks in these can be troublesome but another area to look at is the TCC Modulator Valve, I have seen them stick and cause TCC problems and the P1744 code.

Here is a link to a valve that I have used from Sonnax if you find this valve to be sticking in its bore.

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/56947J-01K.pdf

JK080, is that an item that can be changed without pulling the transmission?

Yes but you will have to remove the solenoid block, reverse servo and valve body.

Something a person who has lots of experience working on cars, but a complete novice with transmissions, could handle?

Sure it not that hard, just keep track of where the bolts for the VB go.

OK guys I need a little help. Using the manual I downloaded, I tried to do the electrical testing. The plugs that the manual said would be there were not there. I unplugged the middle plug like the manual said:

null_zps47ed13d9.jpg

I pulled the middle plug (175B) just like the manual said in this diagram:
null_zps94a67daa.jpg

Here is what the plug looks like:
null_zpse91c895a.jpg

Here is what the manual said the plug will look like:
null_zps1142bab2.jpg

I'm too much of a novice when it comes to this stuff to know what to do here. I know which pin I'm supposed to test based on the manual, but this plug is completely different and I don't see how I can even get my tester into this plug. This also assumes that I can figure out how to find pin 1 and count from there (I'm lost on that as well at the moment).

Can anyone help? Would be greatly appreciated!

Nobody has any suggestions on how to test this?

175B_zpsdc33dee6.gif

Thanks JK080!! I don't see a pin for the Torque Converter Clutch. Is there an online source for that image that might give me A and C as well? I'm wondering if one of the other plugs has the Torque Converter Clutch pin to test that I was expecting to find. Looks like there are only 3 possible transmission-related pins in that diagram but none appear to relate to the TCC.

Its not listing all three as A-B-C

This is listing them as C175B, C175E, C175T

I really doubt you are going to find a problem here, but here is the harness that has the tranny stuff. Note the color of the wires in the corner locations, this can help you identify which connector is what.

175t_zps10771921.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you don't think the Violet/Yellow #46 is the one I'm looking for? Seems like it would be....

Back