2004 XLT Having trouble getting into TPMS Re-train mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 XLT Having trouble getting into TPMS Re-train mode

chrissm14

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
I got 4 new tires put on a couple of months ago, and ever since then one of my tires has had a slow leak under the valve stem. I tried to tighten the nut a little bit but no luck. I was going to just replace the valve stem, the 'nut' on the outside of the tire, and the sealing gasket on the inside, but as of yesterday my TPMS light came on and has stayed on. Tire pressure is at 35 psi all around, I've driven maybe 40 miles and it still won't go off. Which leads me to believe that 1 of the TPMS sensors has failed.

Before I take it to the tire shop, I wanted to try the TPMS re-training procedure that I've seen listed here and see if that clears it up. This is the procedure I have been following:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than two minutes between each key cycle.
  3. Press and release the brake pedal.
  4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  5. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than two minutes between each key cycle.
  6. The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE". Place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.

I've tried this procedure several times but the horn never beeps to indicate it's in train mode. Ive tried turning the key from OFF to RUN quickly and I've tried waiting 5 seconds before turning it back to OFF, but I still cannot get the horn to beep. Ive tried pressing the brake pedal quickly and slowly as well, to no avail. I do not have the message center in my truck.

Do some of these 3rd gen explorers not use this procedure to re-train the TPMS? Or am I missing something? Could it be entering re-learn mode without the horn beeping?

I tracked down the problem, and it was simply fuse #16 under the dash had blown and was keeping the TPMS light on continuously. I haven't tried to put it in train mode again, but I don't need to since the light is now off :)

I'm going to try this and will report back if it worked for me.

I'm going to try this and will report back if it worked for me.
I use it after tire rotation or replacement of the sensors, but without the magnet. I air the tires down until the horn blows. Works good.

Back