• Register Today It's free!

2004 XLT Sport Transmission Leak

twodogs

Reaction score
City, State
WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT Sport
Our 2004 has about 9,000 mi. on it. We just returned from a 3,000 mi. trip and I noticed an oil leak on the garage floor. Taking a peek under the engine/transmission area I noticed bright red txmsn fluid around the txsmsn pan.

This is one of those "Never have to service the transmission" systems so there's no visible dipstick to check the fluid level.

Since it's still on warranty it's going into the shop ASAP but it's still going to be a pain in the azz.

Anyone else ever hear of this on a new rig?

After another, closer look it appears the fluid is coming from the front of the bell housing, NOT the txsmn pan. Fluid is dripping, (lightly) from the cross brace under the bell housing.

Scheduled for service check tomorrow afternoon. Service rep says they hook it up to some sort of analyzer to determine the fluid level. Great timing right in front of the weekend, huh?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FWIW, I just got back from another trip and it's doing it again. Last time they said it was a vent issue and they either replaced or modified the existing vent.

It goes back in Monday.

They need to get something fixed before I run out it of warranty. OR, it has a major problem while I'm on the road somewhere.

One more FWIW. Since Monday the txmsn has been out of the car and the mechs are supposedly working with the techs by phone to sort this out.

Apparently this problem is not totally unheard of and may be a result of fluid expansion as a result of excess heat. Another possibility of course, is there may be some sort of system restriction causing this.

They appear to be considering reprogramming the unit and reassembling it with less fluid. Less fluid doesn't seem to me to be the most brilliant plan if overheating is a potential cause.

In any case, we are still driving their loaner, (2004 Taurus), and they still have our Exploder. No final decisions have been made yet.

It's going on a year now since my first experience with this leak problem. In reading through other posts and forums I've discovered that Ford has finally released a TSB dealing with this. It is TSB 0527 released on February 7, 2005.

I'll be long distance travelling again this summer and expect the same problem to occur.

Anyone know how I can get my hands on a copy of this TSB?????

Back