2005 16 x 7 wheels on a 2001 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 16 x 7 wheels on a 2001 Sport

Wanting to move up to 16" wheels for my 2001 Sport I found a
set of new car take-offs from a 2005 Explorer XLT, which I bought.

Comparing them to the deep dish aluminum wheels that are on the
truck now it appears that the 2005 wheels will fit deeper into the wheelwell
by about an 1 1/2". The distance from the outside wheel rim to the lugnut hole
is 3" on the original wheels and 1 5/8" on the 2005 wheel.

Has anyone had experience converting to later model wheels? Are the
lugnuts the same on a 2001 as a 2005? Guess I didn't do my homework
before buying the wheels.

Thanks,

Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 01 came with 16" wheels. I hope I am not misunderstanding the measurements you posted. You are looking at the front, not the back? The critical measurement is the back spacing.

Lay a straight edge across the back of the new wheel and measure to the flat area that sits against the rotor. Then measure yours on your 01 now. that will tell you how close it is.

Ken Roussin said:
The distance from the outside wheel rim to the lugnut hole is 3" on the original wheels and 1 5/8" on the 2005 wheel.

Are you measuring the distance from the INSIDE edge of the rim to the mounting surface? Or the outside edge? Cauz, as Brian pointed out, it should be measured from the back edge of the rim.

Pulled the stock wheel off. Back spacing is 4 5/8". 2005 wheel has 5 3/4" spacing.
Bolted 2005 wheel to spindle. It appears that there would be significant tire rub on
front swaybar when wheels turned hard. I also think wheels/tires would look to
"sunken in".

I really like the wheels. Are wheel spacers an alternative? Are they safe? Would
need a 1 1/2" spacer. If they exist where would I buy them?

Ken

Depends on what you call spacers. The kind that bolt on like a wheel does and have their own studs are safe. I road race on a set. They are a solid hunk of t6 aluminum with holes for the stock studs and it's own studs mounted. This is so you can get the backspacing right. Your wheel should end up very close to stock position. If you are trying to make them stick out then that will cause all sorts of problems. You want the endstate to be the same or very close to where you started. Measure 2x...

I considered spacers like you discribe, but they cost about $70 each. Went on the
Tirerack website and found a set of afermarket wheels ( 16 x 8 ) that I liked. Ordered
one so I could see it in person. Received it today and for $129 it was well worth the
money, and the back spacing was ok, so I ordered the other 3.

I will install the x-spec lowering kit this weekend and the other three wheels should
arrive Friday. I have chosen to install Pirelli STR-a tires which my local tire guy
has instock.

I will voice my opinion on the whole set-up in a week or so.

BTW-I have 4 like new 16x7 wheels off a 2005 XLS Explorer 4 dr if anyone is
interested

Kit included a monster rear swaybar, specially valves Edelbrock shocks, Poly suspension stops andeverything else you need. Installed it myself in long day (on my garage floor, with X on jackstands. I also installed 16 x 8 alloy wheels and Yokohama Geolander GO51's and had the front end aligned. The kit lowered the X about 1 1/2".

The results are impressive. Handling went from sloppy truck like to almost
late model Mustang like. Very impressive with no real addition ride
harshness and have not had the suspension bottom out yet, and I drive
Los Angeles roads and freeways.

Back