2005 4.0L V6 Fuel Filter Connectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 4.0L V6 Fuel Filter Connectors

yazuki101

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what size of disconnect tool I need for the output side of the fuel filter. I cannot seem to find the info anywhere else and I cannot seem to get the connector to come loose, even when I push the fuel line towards the filter. I am using a 5/16 size, but my Haynes manual shows that style of connector as being 1/4, which I do not have in the set I bought.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IIRC, both fuel filter fittings on my '05 ST were 3/8" and should be exactly the same as yours. Check your 5/16" tool fit on the new replacement filter for sizing. Flush the fittings out thoroughly with penetrant, and wedge a wide flat blade screwdriver or similar to compress the tool into the line while pulling apart not using force. Important to protect your face from the leaking gas, very painful in the eyes. GL

Pull the fuel pump relay and idle until engine dies. Try to restart until it only cranks. This will depressurize the fuel system.
True. There was still residual fuel pressure when I did this, and it sprayed hard. Have read the
only way to completely relieve all the pressure is by leaving the engine off for 24 hours or more.

Thanks for all the advice. I did manage to get the filter disconnected on the output side. On that side, the connector was metal, on the intake side it is plastic. Is this a different type of connector, or will the same procedure work (using the plastic 5/16 disconnect tool)?

On the out put side - what do you do if the inner clip is damaged?

Do you have to replace the entire section of line?

Bad weekend for this to happen....

Back