2005 4.6 Idles but dies when accelerator pressed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 4.6 Idles but dies when accelerator pressed

iecni

Reaction score
City, State
LISBON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Starts and idles - most of the time stays running - but if the accelerator pedal is pressed - engine dies. We have tried everything we can think of - replaced fuel pump thinking that it was not getting enough fuel pressure and when the throttle plate started to open, it was starved for fuel. Misc codes at different times. Acts like it is stuck in forced idle mode. Really need to get it running soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any lights on the dash? Does engine seem to choke out or cleanly cut off? Could be abs/traction control related, throttle body or mass air flow sensor issue. Confirm the air intake tube is tight to throttle body and mass air flow with no air leaks in between.

Any lights on the dash? Does engine seem to choke out or cleanly cut off? Could be abs/traction control related, throttle body or mass air flow sensor issue. Confirm the air intake tube is tight to throttle body and mass air flow with no air leaks in between.

Thanks for your response. There is no check engine light and no wrench light. The lights do check when key turned on - but no error lights when started. Only the seat belt warning light - if seat belt not fastened. We have checked codes....... have had a variety - have cleared codes - and currently have P0113. P0135, P0202. Scanner is OBD II - does not do ABS codes function, etc. When started it idles okay for the most part, and when Key on, Engine Off - the throttle plate moves with the accelerator pedal. When running, and you step on accelerator pedal, seems to choke out and die - not a clean cutoff. We have replaced the fuel pump, all coil packs, Mass Air Flow Sensor, air filter, fuel filter, etc. I thought it was starving when throttle plate opened, and a friend stopped by long enough to measure fuel pressure with his reader - said it was 33 - and needed to be 50 or more when running - and said we needed to replace fuel pump. So removed tank, replaced fuel pump - still same result. Have read it seems like a thousand google searches and watched hundreds of youtube videos - but nothing seems to work. Have removed negative battery cable and held to positive post for 5 minutes to try to reset PCM. Tried to get Throttle Body from junkyard 30 miles away, but was 4.0 not 4.6 liter engine. Do not know what to try next. Have tried to find Ford mechanic with advanced code reader and knowledge to point us in right direction. Have already had vehicle transported and towed twice. What should we try next?

P0113 indicates a problem with the Intake Air Temperature sensor.

P0135 indicates a problem with the O2 sensor heater circuit.

P0202 indicates a problem with cylinder #2’s injector and will put the ECM into failsafe mode. This error should give you an engine with no power and a CEL.

You should address these issues before randomly changing parts.

I tested injector 2 by checking for 12 volts constant and the ground connection. When I start the vehicle with test light on ground connection of injector wire it flashes - and I do hear clicking at the injector using stethoscope. In order to check the intake air temperature - do i need to remove the manifold to get to it - or can it be accessed from behind the throttle body assembly? I have not removed the O2 Sensor yet - have had difficulty not being able to reach the connector to unplug it from harness - it is high up behind the engine - and do not know how to reach it.
Does that sound correct on the injector - if the test light flashes and I hear clicking on the injector - does that mean that the injector itself is plugged or not working - and I should replace?. With those conditions - I assume it is not the wiring.

Replaced intake air temp sensor - and cylinder head temp sensor. fuel pump. Checked injector wiring. Have no codes now, but wont stat idling and dies when accelerator pressed. After removing battery cable and alternator to change sensors - there are currently no codes at all. I am not sure what to do next. I do hear what sounds like a large vaccuum leak - if a gasket in the intake manifold has failed or crack in intake - could this cause it not to idle and not to rev up? I am somewhat out of ideas now that it has no codes - but still won't run. Anybody have any ideas? Please help.

Back