2005 4.6 V8 spark plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 4.6 V8 spark plugs

keekaw05

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
Ive recently discovered that my 2005 explorer is misfiring in cylinder 8. The first place I want to start the process of elimination is the spark plugs. I am the third owner of this vehicle, and I believe that the spark plugs have never been changed. Are there any recommendations as to which brand of plugs are best?
I'm new to this.

Many spark plug threads in the stock 2002-05 sub forum. Most use the OEM Motorcraft SP493 Single Platinum, Autolite APP104 Double Platinum, or XP104 Iridium replacements. Double check the often wrong "pre-gapped" plugs for the .054" gap spec and adjust the side ground electrode if needed. Lightly coating the threads with copper or nickel anti seize and dielectric grease on the wire boots optional.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1430690,parttype,7212

I went with NGK ridium spark plugs. Afterwards, using the OBD 2 code reader, it was not displaying that I was misfiring anymore. However, there is something that is still not right. I can still feel a slight shake which feels and sounds like a misfire.
While doing the spark plugs, some of the ignition coils looked good and some not so. That being said, I'm going to replace them now too.

Preferance?

Back