2005 5R55S Hard shifting, loss of 2nd gear, slipping 2nd & 5th on engagement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 5R55S Hard shifting, loss of 2nd gear, slipping 2nd & 5th on engagement

White05XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Middle Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT AWD
I am posting this to help anyone experiencing the symptoms my 2005 4.6L AWD Explorer had when I bought it.

I got the Explorer used at 97K miles with no history of the vehicle.
I noticed at around 100K miles it appeared to slip in 5th.
I researched this and found the SK5R55W/S Shift kit online and installed the shift kit.
I reassembled everything and on the test drive noticed a complete loss of 2nd gear in "Drive".
I verified fluid level was correct at 120*F and Valvoline MERC-V was used.

List of symptoms:
1. Total loss of 2nd gear on Up or Downshift in "DRIVE"
2. 2nd gear works fine when transmission is in manual "2".
3. 2nd gear does not slip when in manual "2", even at WOT under load.
4. 5th gear / OD engages with a Bang and is delayed, won't go in until throttle is lifted. Does this EVERY shift into 5th.
5. 2nd gear loss at times in Manual "2" when transmission is warm, won't engage at all and acts like it is in neutral.
6. No transmission codes or pre-codes.
7. Hard/Harsh Engagements for Drive and Reverse
8. Vehicle Lunges when braking /stopping (appears to be a hard downshift into 1st gear below 10 mph)
9. OD off button at times won't cancel OD.
10. Downshift under WOT from OD to 4th high rev.
11. No metal in pan or burned fluid
12. Occasionally stalls when coasting down a hill in "DRIVE"

What fixed it:
1. The Shift kit improved OD hold and does not slip, this may also be due to the excessive wear in my old valvebody.
2. Tightened the Bands to 120in/lbs and back out 2 turns.
3. 8-9 Quarts of MERC-V Transmission Fluid
4. New Valve Body with shift kit
5. New Solenoid Pack

I tore the old Valve body apart and it had several parts that were worn and sticking.

The Solenoid Pack was most of the problem in my case.

The transmission shifts like new now and has no slipping, delayed engagements or lunging when braking like before.

I am posting this to help anyone working on the 5R55S in a high mileage vehicle and to prevent someone else from going into the transmission multiple times like I did to get it fixed.

If you have ~ 100K miles and are having the same issues mine did, replacing the valve body and solenoid pack and installing the Shift kit may be all you need to fix it. I was told by several shops to just rebuild or install a Remanufactured transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: Transmission running like new

It has been a few weeks now since I completed the repairs and the computer has relearned all the parameters.

Transmission shifts like new and no issues.

I am at 120,5xx miles now and the transmission feels like it could go well beyond 200k.

I've pushed it hard a few times WOT from a stop and slow roll to Interstate speeds when I have traveled with it, the transmission hits each gear correctly without slipping or hanging up while holding WOT.

Shifts into reverse and drive with the engine hot or cold are gentle without the harsh bang it used exhibit.

shifting problem

Ya I had much the same problem,rpms were hi from 1st to2nd to 3rd and no o/d . O/D light was flashing with a code 0775 .Transmission guy changed the servo piston a runs like new.Others said it was the tranny.

Update: Transmission still working perfectly!

At 130K miles now and the transmission shifts smoothly at part throttle or WOT.

This is smoothest transmission I've seen when it is working properly.

:thumbsup:

At 130K miles now and the transmission shifts smoothly at part throttle or WOT.

This is smoothest transmission I've seen when it is working properly.

:thumbsup:

Ya mine is still working fine also been a few months.

Update:
154,000 miles now!
Still shifting smoothly and it even has engine breaking in 5th gear when driving in the mountains.
Smoothest automatic transmission I've ever owned.

Update:
154,000 miles now!
Still shifting smoothly and it even has engine breaking in 5th gear when driving in the mountains.
Smoothest automatic transmission I've ever owned.

The engine braking you experience in 5th. gear is due to release of the gas pedal, which disengages the Torque Converter Clutch, allowing the converter to "convert torque" backwards, driving the engine instead of the other way around. Good deal! imp

Update:
199,000 miles now still shifts like new
Changed transmission oil and filter and checked magnet in pan. Magnet was clean.
Transmission feels like it could go another 100,000 miles.

Update:

102K miles since repairs!

Dropped the transmission oil pan around 200K miles to change the filter and fluid.

Fluid still looked and smelled good. Magnet and pan had no residue or varnish like they did at 100K miles, so it looks like the shift kit and fluid changes did their job.

The transmission still shifts like new!

At 222K now and I drive 1300+ miles a week with mostly interstate, averaging 18 - 19 mpg running the A/C.
Not bad for a V8 with 3.73 gears!

Update
259,1xx miles
Have been driving 1300+ miles a week for a while now

Pictures of the transmission pan and magnet before cleaning during a trans fluid swap today.

Transmission still shifts great and no issues!

1A5F8451-4979-4D7D-B58D-2CCB6AF36775.jpeg

55A7FB12-59D8-4130-9E9E-878800898BEF.jpeg

After a quick wipe off
Magnet only had sludge on it

image.jpg

Back