2005: Did they fix the trans? How do you transport a canoe? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005: Did they fix the trans? How do you transport a canoe?

canuckjgc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ex V6
Hi all,

I skipped the 2002 based on comments from this forum.

I'm looking at a 2005 XLT V6 with 40k miles. Can I expect the transmission to be better in this one?

Also, why don't the roof rails extend the length of the truck? I don't know how I'll be able to transport a large canoe, but I suspect there must be an aftermarket system that will work...anyone have experience with this?

Hi all,

I skipped the 2002 based on comments from this forum.

I'm looking at a 2005 XLT V6 with 40k miles. Can I expect the transmission to be better in this one?

Also, why don't the roof rails extend the length of the truck? I don't know how I'll be able to transport a large canoe, but I suspect there must be an aftermarket system that will work...anyone have experience with this?

Actually the roof rack is not that bad on it. I just purchased a Yakima Bowdown rack for my kayak. if you are not planning on using any type of additional rack you should be able to just push the front bar all the way forward and the rear bar all the way back and time the canoe down that way. It should be fine (I think they didn't make the rack longer because it would interfere with the sun/moon roof).

One thing I have noticed though is that the cross bars wobble from front to back a little. I tried tightening both screws on each side but it didn't seem to help at all. Its not noticeable with my yak on it since its tied down but without it its very noticeable.

all i do is throw some padding down and ratchet strap it through the roof, and to the bumpers, works fine for me

I have transported my 15' cane on many different vehicles including a 1996 Exp and several with no luggage rack. You can buy hard foam pads that have slits to fit into the edge rails of the canoe and are about 6"x6" square to lay flat on the roof to protect it. I got them at Joe's years ago, they are belly up now but some other places must have them, maybe Overton's.

Then I merely tie rope from the bow to the front bumper, and the stern to the back bumper. Best to use a rope tied to the canoe with equal lengths hanging down and tie onto tow hooks if you have them on both sides. The foam blocks compress some and help help the ropes tight.

Ah, here's some:

http://www.nextag.com/canoe-car-top-carrier/stores-html

Back