2005 Explore Limited Edition - installing aftermarket HU but keeping stock DVD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explore Limited Edition - installing aftermarket HU but keeping stock DVD

Roalfra

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 LIMITED
I have an Eclipse Navigation unit that I want to install in my '05 Limited, but I 'm told that my factory DVD will be disabled if I remove the factory stereo.
I've called Eclipse, Crutchfield and even Ford and they all have told that the rear DVD will not work if the factory radio is removed and replaced with any aftermarket stereo.
Does anyone has a way to install a aftermarket GPS but still keep the factory DVD functional?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved it for ya'!;)

do you know where can I get the schematic diagram?
I google it but got nothing.

Even if you get the Rear DVD to work, with a limited you get stearing wheel controls. As far as i know you lose it too.

I'll try it tonight,
thanks

I haven't be able to figure out which cable is the amp remote output of my Ecplise AVN 5510, I looked at the installation manual and still didn't find what color is this cable.
Any idea as to what color is the amp remote output on my unit.
Is the light green/black on the factory unit the constant power?
On my unit(Ecplise AVN 5510):
the yellow is the battey ( constant power)
the red is the ACC ( power supply)
the blue is the turn on wire of each equipment

so you got it going just fine? overhead is good to go?

i'll work on it today, i just found out that the blue wire is the amp control onmy nav unit.
I'll let you know.

no luck, I had the nav unit installed on a 2002 EB explorer and assumed the wiring of the 2005 Ltd will be the same, but it's not, the harness of the 02 and the 05 are different, so I was installing it thinking that the factory connectors will fit the harness that had for the 02, but what a mistake, now got to find the harness for my nav unit that will fit the 05 connectors, once I'll get them then I'll try again. I still have to figure a way to connect the speed pulse wire from the nav to the speed sensor of the car.

I'll keep you updated.
Thanks for your help.

Your problem with your Rear Seat Entertainment system is usually a CAN bus problem that an aftermarket stereo cannot handle. If your RSE is not on the CAN bus, most aftermarket units can handle it. I know the Pioneer AVIC-Z1,2,3's do.

There is a solution. Go to this website:

http://www.pac-audio.com/default.asp

Check out this part number: C2R-FRD1

It says 2006 Explorer and up. But there are some 2005 apps listed. I would call PAC and find out what they say. Those guys are phenominal to work with and are very, very good at what they do.

I will contact them, but I check the website and they don't have it for the 05 ltd explorer.

thanks

It would help if you knew exactly what plug configuration you had when you called them. Can you pull the radio out and look?

hey Kelly2, I tried connecting the amp remote output to the green/black wire of the middle connector as it is indicated on the link you told me, but the rear dvd only comes on for a few seconds and then the screen goes black, then I disconnect the wire and the dvd doesn't come on at all, so at some point is does feed power but it stops after a few seconds.
back to square.

Cobraguy PAC doesn't carry the adapter, they have it for 2006 and up.
Anyone has any idea.

try contacting the other individual in that thread i linked to. i've known a couple people that have done that method with success.

I replied to that thread, let see what he says.

Thanks Kelly12.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back