2005 Explorer ABS Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer ABS Issues

themag33

Reaction score
Hello,
Driving a 2005 Explorer, 101k, 6cyl, 4,0 SOHC.

A couple of days ago I had the dreaded "ABS" light as well as the Advtrac "Off" light come on. It also would have the 4x4 light blink intermittenly, most at stops. Hooked up the computer and came up with an error code of B1145 (Bad R/F Wheel Sensor). So I replaced the sensor.

When I backed out of my driveway do to a test drive I got a horibble grinding noise as well as a loss of power. I immediatly pulled back in my driveway and completely disconnected the sensor, checked everything out and then reinstalled as I wanted to be sure evrything was seated and installed correctly.

On test drive number 2 I got the same thing. As I was about to turn around, something "clicked in" and everything started to work fine. The "ABS" light came on again as well Advtrac "Off" light but the truck ran fine with no grinding, loss of power or pulsating brakes

When I turn the truck off and then restart it, the "ABS" light is on. As soon as I back out, the grinding and loss of power starts again for about 20 feet, then th Advtrac "Off" light kicks on and the truck starts to drive normally.

Some more info that I have no idea means anything:
-I did disconnect the battery after I installed the new sensor to reset the cpu.
-Checked for play on the HUB and there was none at all.

I did save the old sensor, should I put it back on and see if the grinding/loss of power continues? Just seems weird that I didnt have any other syptoms besides the dummy lights with the old sensor. It really does feel like something "kicks in" after driving 20-30 feet.

Any input would be apprieciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bad wheel bearings change the hub that will solve your problem, I just changed both of mine, advanced auto sells moog for around 150.00 buy each hub online make two orders and enter promo code VISA and save 50 bucks each time. very easy job

Thanks for the response Viper. Not sure about the Hub/Bearing yet as there is no movement or any type of road noise whatsoever once the truck "clicks in" after the inital 20-30 feet.

I went ahead and did another test drive this morning and had the same thing. So I put the old sensor back in and guess what? No more grind/loss of power or "click in" syptoms. The dummy lights came on just like it did before the replacement but none of the new problems.

I pretty sure that I got a bad new sensor. Im going to replace it out later today but it was weird.

Old Sensor= Dummy lights, no other symptoms
New Sensor=Dummy Lights, Grinds, Loss of power, bad breaking.

It seem that the cpu is looking for the sensor (on the new one) and isnt finding it which is causing the erratic driving.

Thanks
Rich

It's safer to replace the hub because the sensor comes with it. I had the same problem but I replaced the hub easier and less work. I bought the Ford OEM one.

Thanks for the input guys. The more I think about it Ill probably change out the hub. While it isnt showing any of the classic syptoms (play, road noise, etc) the connector (that the sensor seats into) could be bad as it doesnt want to recognize the new sensor when it is installed.

Thanks again,

Rich

Back