2005 Explorer Cruise Control Issue (Need advice) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer Cruise Control Issue (Need advice)

aircrew92

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4x4
My 2005 Explorer recently developed an issue with the cruise control and here are the details. Once desired speed has been met, the cruise control will not engage even after the system has been turned on. No matter how many times the "set" butting is pushed, the system will not engage nor will the cruise control dash board indicator light illuminate. At other times, after pushing the "set" button, the system will engage and hold the desired speed for some time. But, unexpectedly, the cruise control will suddenly disengage, the cruise control indicator light on the dash board will go off, and the cruise control system will not engage again and the system remains useless for the remainder of the drive. Pulling over and shutting the SUV off will sometimes allow the system to work again, but not always. Does anyone know why this is happening? If there something that needs to be cleaned or replaced to correct this problem? The problem is quite annoying and I need to find a solution. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d check to see if it’s throwing any codes, sometimes the computer will not allow you to use Cruise controll if something it senses isn’t going right

I’d check to see if it’s throwing any codes, sometimes the computer will not allow you to use Cruise controll if something it senses isn’t going right

Thank you! How do I do that? Do I need a code reader for that?

Yes, take it to o’Reillys or AutoZone and ask them to do it they will do it for free and so will most auto repair places

I would guess, based on experience,that the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) on rear axle is not reading properly. Also could be the brake pressure switch mounted on the master cylinder. Had both of these fail (at different times) and cause cruise control to be intermittent, then not work at all. And in both cases, I never got an error code. Both repairs were done from doing research on this site.

My cruise control was doing the same, changing the cruise control cutoff switch on the master cylinder fixed it.

My cruise control was doing the same, changing the cruise control cutoff switch on the master cylinder fixed it.

Thank you so much! How expensive was the switch and how difficult was it to replace?

I would guess, based on experience,that the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) on rear axle is not reading properly. Also could be the brake pressure switch mounted on the master cylinder. Had both of these fail (at different times) and cause cruise control to be intermittent, then not work at all. And in both cases, I never got an error code. Both repairs were done from doing research on this site.

Thank you! How expensive was the VSS and how difficult was it to replace?

Thank you! How expensive was the VSS and how difficult was it to replace?
Neither switch is very expensive. The brake pressure switch on master cylinder is about a 5 minute job. On the VSS, I had a shop do that as it is easier to get it up on a lift, but you can do it by crawling under as well. Search this site and you should find instructions for both. I suggest rockauto.com for parts.

Have you done the diagnostic procedure?
Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel
will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).

3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.

4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective

Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position

I have a new problem. My 2005 model doesn't have the switch that you mentioned. Numerous other folks on here also refer to this switch located on the master cylinder but there is something different about my SUV. I don't seem to have any sort of switch located on the master cylinder. Please take a look at the pictures I have posted. The only sensor of any kind mounted on my master cylinder is the one that is in the pictures. My local Ford dealership parts department claims the sensor that hangs down under my master cylinder is a hydraulic pressure transducer and, has something to do with the anti-lock brakes, and it costs $172. So, I am back to square one. Have you had any experience with 2005 models? Thanks in advance!

IMG_2970.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2975.JPG

I don’t know if Ford changed the control circuit for 2005.

Here is mine, circled in red.

^^ That's the same setup my '04 has.

Have you done the diagnostic procedure?

Thank you for the info, but that procedure didn’t seem to work. Nothing happened when I tried it. But I will continue my research and I do want to thank you for sending it!

Thank you, Oliver! I ran the truck by AutoZone today. No codes were detected. Looks like my problem is still a mystery. I appreciate your time and advice!

You likely have bad switches, they are POS junk, known problem, hard to find at this site

somethimes they work, sometimes not, mostly not, and its a fun job to replace them.

Check to see if your throttle body is clean and if the gas pedal can open the throttle plate all the way
When I finally figured the problem it was a combination of things I adjusted the cc cable
And did the throttle cable zipties mod ...searches on the forums will show you how to do the cleaning and adjustments ..... this may not be your problem but it won't hurt anything may even be better than it is now
And also look over really good the wire going to the vss sensor for damage

Check to see if your throttle body is clean and if the gas pedal can open the throttle plate all the way
When I finally figured the problem it was a combination of things I adjusted the cc cable
And did the throttle cable zipties mod ...searches on the forums will show you how to do the cleaning and adjustments ..... this may not be your problem but it won't hurt anything may even be better than it is now
And also look over really good the wire going to the vss sensor for damage
Thank you, donalds!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back