2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 Brake Lines and Hoses | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 Brake Lines and Hoses

Unfortunately, these aren't cosmetic, the parking / emergency brake pads, springs, etc. mount to them.

The Dormans are made for the later years in this generation, and don't say "Exc traction control" like most others do.
I would probably look at cutting them in half if removing the studs won't work. Can you post a picture of the old shield still installed where all of the mount bolts can be seen?

I think it would be possible to make a 2-part shield but I need to see what it looks like exactly. Mine is a bit older and I'm not sure it's exactly the same.

LMHmedchem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dealer service manager confirmed, this vintage needs to be separated (older ones could be removed by pulling the studs).

Parts manager confirmed that Ford only sells a-la-carte parts for this job on this vehicle.

Looking at AC Delco assemblies from RockAuto. They're listed as Standard Replacement options (vs. Economy for the Dorman).

Mike

I think that the main issue will be the traction control. If you do replace the knuckle then you need to make sure you get one compatible with that feature. I would contact the seller directly to make sure. My preference would be an SKF part but I don't know if you can get the traction control version. I am not sure in what way it is different. You might contact the SKF site and ask for the correct part number. The same goes for Moog. ACDelco is a quality brand but they don't make all their own parts. This means that you will often pay more since they are getting the part from someone else and rebranding it. The ACDelco part doesn't say anything about traction control either.

You should probably look at the option of replacing the hub and bearing along with the dust shield and keep your knuckle.

MOOG 521000 Rear Bearing & Hub Kit ($81.89 +ship)
SKF BR930259K Rear Bearing & Hub Kit ($95.79 +ship)
ACDELCO Gold 521000 Bearing & Hub Kit ($97.79)
TIMKEN HA590259K Bearing & Hub Kit ($106.79 +ship)

All of these are quality parts and I would be happy with any of them.

I would call around and ask local shops how much it would cost to press out the old hub and bearing if you bring it to their shop.
That really should not cost very much. It will just take a few minutes. After the old parts are out you can grind off all the rust, paint it to rust protect it, and install the new dust shield. Then you can take it back to the shop to have the new hub and bearing pressed in.

This would insure that you have the correct part for the traction control and should cost less then $250+ per wheel for a new knuckle. The hub and bearing are not different with or without traction control as far as I know.

In theory you could press out the old parts and then press them back in after you install the shield but I think it's unlikely they will come out in one piece and I wouldn't bother since the bearing will need to be replaced eventually anyway.

LMHmedchem

Thanks. That's good info about AC Delco.

I really would just prefer the new ones. Out, in, done, no running around to shops. This is already taking way too long.

But, another suggestion I've seen is to make a washer that would fit the space behind the existing shield, and run the new parking brake shoe pin through that. I'll wire brush the shield and take a look at how solid the remainder is, maybe add some JB Weld to help solidify it.

Even if that just gets me another year or two until I need a new bearing, that'll be a win.

Mike

As expected, this backing plate / dust shield is too far gone to save. I'm ordering assemblies to end this project.

Will follow up when parts arrive. Thanks for the advice so far!

Mike

I ordered the Dorman assemblies. Only way I could find the ones compatible with traction control (I confirmed on the Dorman site), and they're fully loaded with e-brake shoes and hardware installed.

Ordered from RockAuto. Cheaper than local. Roughly the same price (on RA) as the AC Delco, which don't appear to come with the brake shoes.

Next time the bearing(s) go out, it'll be getting done at a shop.

Mike

Back