2005 explorer lift kit?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 explorer lift kit?!?!

rolltide00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer 4x4
Hey guys and gals!

I have a 2005 ford explorer xlt 4x4 and I currently have a set of 31 inch mickeys on it and its not lifted or at least even leveled.... So I'm looking for some advice and help on find a leveling kit or lift kit for the model! It has seemed almost near impossible to find yet I see other explorers my year with them!?!? So how about some help here y'all!!!! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking into this also. Start by reading the sticky threads that answered at for me. Now I need to decide how I want to lift it.

Thanks deez-67
Yea that's the hard part. I think I'm gonna try to stick to suspension, I took my factory side steps off and the frame sticks out a little bit and I feel a body lift would just make it worse. I have found a 4inch lift kit on this site autoanything.com but I'm not sure if it's a shady site or not. I'm gonna do more research and looming around first.

It's hard to get a straight answer because there are so many different ways and so many different people. I'd say its like any other car mod and that.... you get what you pay for.

best of luck I hope someone post in here to point you (and me) in the right direction.

Welcome.

The sticky posts have all the info you would need. .....

"Macknos-

You might consider adding this to you "read before posting" proposed sticky:

Explorers have a fully independant front and rear suspension. This makes lifting these truck a bit more complex than lifting your average Heep, ranger, and full-size truck.

You have 3 options:

1) 3" Body Lift. This lift inerts a spacer between the chassis and body. Does not change your factory suspension geometry. Bigger tires but mediocre ground clearance improvement (from 29" factory tire to 32" tire only nets 1.5" clearance increase). This lift keeps factory suspension geometery and factory ride. The only change will be due to your change in tires. (All-terrain ride a bit more truck-like, stiffer) LOOK HERE: Body Lift: How-to

2) Spacer Lift: This Lift Inserts a spacer between the top of the strut and the strut mounting location. This allows factory travel, but that amount of travel has been moved down by 1.5 - 2.5". Your spacer dimension correlates directly to an increase in clearance before including larger diameter tires. Ride is pretty close to stock. You WILL need a alignment after this lift.
Options are BTF Fabrication and TRUXX. The BTF kit is a direct bolt on developed by a member of this forum. A 2.25" spacer kit will net you 3.5" of lift due to your suspension geometry. Here's the install of that lift kit: BTF Fabrication Spacer install

3) Coil Spring: This lift uses longer (stiffer) springs than from the factory on factory length struts. Your suspension travel may actually decrease with this lift. Your up down-travel will decrease due to struts now riding in a slightly extended position all the time. Lift height may not be exactly what you order, due to the age of your vehicle factory springs may have "settled". You will need an alignment after this lift. Look here:How-to: Coil Spring Lift

You can combine a body lift with a spacer lift, or a body lift and a coil spring lift. Longer coils with spacers is not a good idea (too much stress on your ball joints)."

Second post in the 2002-2005 FAQ regarding lifts, tires, etc sticky

^^^ Good idea and great simple info

Back