2005 Explorer - O/D light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer - O/D light flashing

ponti1

Reaction score
City, State
Beaver Falls, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Hello all! I have been doing reading for hours on this problem that showed up yesterday, and am having a thorough headache and not sure that I am much closer to finding a solution. Hoping someone here can give some input.

I have a 2005 Explorer XLT V6 that just got an info center message "check transmission" and the "O/D Off" light started flashing. The vehicle seems to run and shift normally, as far as I can tell. Maybe, just maybe, it seems to want to upshift sooner than normal, but that could just be that I am overly sensitive to looking for symptoms and it is shifting as it always has before.

I took it to a local transmission guy this morning because both AutoZone and Advance Auto told me they would not be able to get any useful info for me with their code readers. The transmission guy read the codes, but did not tell my the specific code numbers he pulled. He said there were two of them..."transmission temp high" and "transmission temp out of range", and that it meant I have a transmission that is failing.

Is this even remotely enough info to get started in some sort of additional investigation? If so, where in the world would I begin?

I have basic mechanical abilities, but know very little about automatic transmissions.

As a side note, could this be something electrical versus mechanical? I ask that question because a few months ago the vehicle started randomly having some electrical gremlins where instrument cluster and other dash type items "reboot". When this happens, the analog gauges peg downward like there is backward electrical current applied, tripmeter resets, all other lights on instrument cluster light up, radio goes off and on, and factory DVD also goes off and on. Vehicle keeps running, and things like cruise control are unaffected. This also happens sometimes while vehicle is just parked, not running, no keys in the ignition. I have noticed that interior lights are also affected.

Maybe the two are not related, but I figured it would not hurt to throw the extra information out there in case it was useful.

Hi again...I just looked in on the forum. I see lots of views on the thread, which is cool. Just wanted to say that if I could try and give more info, please just ask. I am in a position where I can't possibly afford to pay someone two thousand bucks or more to fix a transmission, and anything I could do to isolate an issue and maybe even fix it myself (if lucky) would be way helpful.

Just trying to say that if you read the post and there is not enough info, please let me know what I have not provided. If I can get the details, I will definitely do that.

Thanks!!

You will need to get the clarify the code numbers just to get a starting point, then the use of a good scanner that can give you a data stream would be helpful to watch the different components and to make sure they are reading correct information.

P0711 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Range or Performance

P0713 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input

It could be possible that the Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor is faulty, its located in the wire harness for the solenoids inside the transmission pan.

You will need to know the pin out chart for the case connector to check it, it should be 28.4 ohms at 70 degrees.

Back