2005 explorer over heats when ac is turned on all new parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 explorer over heats when ac is turned on all new parts

4719dave

Reaction score
City, State
Port Charlotte
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer
okay ps ive turned wrenches for a long time but cant fix this grrrr so ..
2005 ford explorer 4.6 motor .Bad radiator smelled it .So bought a new one and a new thermostat 3gals new 50/50 anti freeze rad leaked no good grrrr .Bought 2nd rad ,installed new water pump ,new clutch fan ,new fan blade had a chipped blade filled her up turned heater on blower on high got hot heat topped it off next day . ran it for 20 min in driveway to check for leaks gtg .So i turned on ac idol car temp pegs out !!!!!! turned heat on blower on high came down to normal . took it for a drive to Englewood works fine till i turn on the ac whats up ??????any help would be great .my dog is in em vet and up to 3000 grand im broke THANKS DAVE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Run it with the cap off for 20 minutes at idle. This will make sure all the air is out the system then retry.

Installed a plugged radiator?

Stuck thermostat? (Use only Motorcraft)

BTW system capacity is 4.65 gallons without rear a/c , 5 gallons with rear a/c, not 3...

What was your ambient and feels like temperature at the time? Sitting still the radiator will not get the air flow that it needs to keep cool. A fan on a stand in front of the grill helps a little.
ADDED: I see now where you drove it too.

Did you put the fan shroud back on? Serp belt is on the right way (water pump spinning the right way)? Installed the fan blade the right direction on the clutch?

It’s kinda hard to diagnose because you changed so many cooling parts at one time...

Also, how can you smell a bad radiator? I’m not trying to be stupid, just curious.

Did you put the fan shroud back on? Serp belt is on the right way (water pump spinning the right way)? Installed the fan blade the right direction on the clutch?

It’s kinda hard to diagnose because you changed so many cooling parts at one time...

Also, how can you smell a bad radiator? I’m not trying to be stupid, just curious.
The first replacement radiator I got had a leak in it I could smell the antifreeze it wasn’t dripping just spraying yeah I double checked all the parts are all on right

So if you didn’t have this issue before changing all the parts then it has to be an issue with one of the new parts.

If everything is installed correctly, then I’d guess bad thermostat or wrong radiator. Is the radiator thinner or smaller than the factory one?

So if you didn’t have this issue before changing all the parts then it has to be an issue with one of the new parts.

If everything is installed correctly, then I’d guess bad thermostat or wrong radiator. Is the radiator thinner or smaller than the factory one?
No it the same thing . I’ve been driving it yesterday and today it seems to be getting better takes longer to move temp off 1/2 way then seems not to go past 3/4 . I’m at a lose here . If thermostat was bad how would I be getting hot heat and all hoses are hot ?

You can have heat and a bad thermostat. Thermostats can be bad in a lot of different ways. The thermostat just may not open up all the way.

Sounds like at this point you should just drive the truck for a little before changing any parts. Could be stuck air bubbles like some suggested.

Thanks for the help !!

What was your ambient and feels like temperature at the time? Sitting still the radiator will not get the air flow that it needs to keep cool. A fan on a stand in front of the grill helps a little.
ADDED: I see now where you drove it too.

I've idled for an hour or more in 100+ Texas temps with the A/C on high and never exceeded 220 degrees (I have a digital read out via the OBDII port)

Back