2005 Explorer Ticking Noise Under The Hood | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer Ticking Noise Under The Hood

Michael Johnson

Reaction score
City, State
Moreno Valley, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Hi Team
I own an 05 explorer that has up to now performed very well.
However just recently I have begun to notice a light ticking sound under the hood. I few days later I had my first experience with my transmission jumping when I put it in reverse.
I took it to my local transmission shop who told me the cost of the repair could be anywhere between $1500-3500 depend on weather the repair would need just seals or hard parts.

Am I being taken for a ride here?
What are your suggestion?
Let me here them please

@Michael Johnson
Which engine? "Ticking" noise generally hydraulic valve lifter noise, may come and go, often encountered on high-mileage engines. Unless it becomes highly pronounced, as in "scary", and it is not too distracting or disconcerting, get oil and filter changed, use high quality oil, and ignore it, as the unrelated transmission issue will take the focus.

Can you more descriptively explain the transmission issue?
"Am I being taken for a ride here?"

Only if you allow it. Check for trouble codes. If none, check the usual things: quality and quantity of fluid (full/not full?), burnt, smelly fluid, not nice red color? What about shift quality? Normal? imp

It's a V8.
The ticking sounds seems to disappear as the engine and transmission heat up.

With regard to the transmission performance. As well when it is cold I experience hesitation in engagement when I put it in gear and it seems to slip a bit from 1st to 2nd. However once again when it heats up it seems ok.

When I began experiencing a hard shift in reverse is when I took it to the local Transmission repair.
As a precautionary measure I have it parked until I know what my next steps are

Ticking?....goes away with warm up?....sounds like mine. Leaking exhaust manifold. Notorious problem on these...

Back