2005 explorer xlt heat not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 explorer xlt heat not working

mikejd34

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer xlt
When i turn my dial to heat there is a clicking noise under the dash and only cold air comes out. I understand that there is probably a problem with the blend door actuator and it needs to be replaced, but when i take out my glove box to access the valve, regardless of which direction i flip it there is still only cold air coming out the vents. I dont really understand why flipping the blend door manually still wont work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

When i turn my dial to heat there is a clicking noise under the dash and only cold air comes out. I understand that there is probably a problem with the blend door actuator and it needs to be replaced, but when i take out my glove box to access the valve, regardless of which direction i flip it there is still only cold air coming out the vents. I dont really understand why flipping the blend door manually still wont work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Right on blend door actuator due to the clicking noise you hear when turned to heat, but when you reached behind the glove box area to manually flip the blend door arm, are you feeling for the arm that is flipping up and down? If you do feel that arm flipping up and down, that is the correct arm to flip the blend door using your finger. You want to flip it "downward" with a little force and do this with the vehicle running and set to heat/defroster. When you flip it downward and it stays in that down, heat position(which mine did), you should hear a difference in air flow thru the defroster and then start to feel heat coming thru the vent. One tip, when you start the vehicle up each time, put the blower speed on #4 setting or high before you turn the engine over. The high fan speed air flow helps keep the blend door set to heat and keeps it from falling back to the cold side during start up and having to reach behind the dash each day till you get the blend door fixed. This worked for me when mine went bad last year. Check and make sure your coolant is full in the Expansion tank and see if both heater core hoses are getting hot after the vehicle is up to running temp and you have the heater turned on to hot temp. If the hoses are hot, you have good coolant flow thru the heater core providing heat to the inner cabin.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Like Exproblems said, It sure sounds like the Blend Door Actuator. Fortunately, there is a pretty good write-up for replacing it. :p:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140

Hope this helps out and good luck getting it sorted. :biggthump

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Back