2005 Ford Explorer fuse box problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer fuse box problem

martin_95037

Reaction score
City, State
Morgan Hill, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer EB 4.6 V8
Yesterday morning the engine would not turn over. the dash received power and the nights would come on and the beeping sound would happen if the lights where left on. I had it towed to my Mechanic. He told me it is the fuse box that needs to be replaced after he determined that the starter was not the problem.

I just called Ford and three of the local Chain auto parts stores. They do not carry the fuse box for the engine or the passenger compartment. I am going to call the Santa Clara Truck Wreckers tomorrow morning. I am considering taking it to computer board repair facility to have fuse box fixed (This is silicon Valley). Anyone with some input or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One other thing that I should note. my alternator was rebuild about a month ago now.

Yeah, don't let that mechanic even fill your washer fluid reservoir.

It may be your battery, try a slow charge,if you a have a charger..it's not your fuse box.

I think this is a first...

I have never, in my entire life, heard of a fuse box needing to be replaced. Yes, if someone dropped a 400 lb engine block on it and crushed it. Time to find a new "mechanic".

the mechanic said that power is not coming into the fusbox. I want to try to diagnose the problem myself. please tell me what tools I need to bring with me to make that determination. I Currently considering having a local mobile mechanic look at it. oblivious I looking for corrosion. what else could I be looking for if that is the problem?

Start with the battery. Can you jump start it? The starter takes a lot of juice whereas all the other b.s. doesn't require near as much current. Just because your radio comes on doesn't mean there's enough current to get the starter to kick in.

Also, consider that the starter relay needs to be replaced. Is the starter cable on tight?

Is there a procedure to diagnose if it is the Transponder key or the RF sender/reciever that is in, on, or next to the ignition switch ( I am not familiar with the schematic of the ignition at the time of this posting). I don't have an extra transponder key but I do have a spare plain metal key. When I tried to start my wagon one time with a plain metal key I got the same result that I am having right now. Sadly if it is the key itself I am going to have a nice little bill to flip.

I will try giving a jump start tomorrow morning. The weather has been relatively cold lately. When I say cold I mean between 35 and 40 in the morning. I live in USDA zone 9B about 18 miles in a strait line from the ocean.

if the fuse box had no power why do the lights come on dash lights ect,,#56 relay is the stater relay this fuse box is under the hood just behind the battery, pull that relay out and put it back in then try and start it..these can get a little corroded sometimes all it takes is to remove it and put it back to make a clean connection..

Any luck with your issues?

see attached picture

IMG_0636.jpg

I did not know that there was an aftermarket starter interrupter installed when I bought it. The farm that I used to work for had the the same problem. the van that they bought came from ATT after it had about 100,000 worth of tools in it. it was just a little switch that needed to be flipped so no one runs off with all the tools in your van.

Back