2005 Ford Explorer Limited - Help - Cruise Control | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer Limited - Help - Cruise Control

Orleans

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explore Limited
The cruise control on my 2005 Ford Explorer Limited does not work. Nothing happens when operating the buttons on the steering wheel. No lights.
2005 Ford Explorer Limited 4X4 4.0 V6 with adjustable position of the brake pedal.
Can be a problem in cruise control release switch which is located under to the brake pedal?
All the solutions I found are related to a cruise control release switch located on the master cylinder, but my Explorer does not have this second switch.
I appreciate any help. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a fairly specific field of work that most individuals don't touch. I'd pay a shop a diagnostic fee to pinpoint the exact issue. Just make sure they KNOW cruise control. Look for a shop with an ex Ford Tech, or go to a dealer. Just make sure the dealer has Ford Factory trained techs. Some posters here have dealerships with what sounds like shade tree mechanics.
Then decide if it's work you want to do (and pay the diagnostic fee) or have them do it and the fee is usually waived.

On my wife's '04 it was the switch on the master cylinder causing cruise to not work. Are you sure your '05 does not have this switch? I thought it was on the bottom side of the master cylinder in the '05. Fortunately the '04 is on the top side so a 5 minute replacement job. :)

2004 food explorer

I have just purchased a Ford Explorer. Where is my cruise control switch located? Plz help.

I have just purchased a Ford Explorer. Where is my cruise control switch located? Plz help.
The 5 cruise control switches on my Exploder are on the steering wheel. They are on, off, set, coast, and resume. If you can't find a group of switches like that, you might not have cruise control.

Ah, the ol brake switch malfunctioning... ok go to amazon or ebay and just type in "SW-6350" the exact part# for the explorer is "SW-6349" but that part runs almost 50$! The "6350" is supposedly the f-150 part# but I installed it on my 04 explorer with no problem, it can also be found for less then 20$ for a true oem Motorcraft one!!! Not sure why the other is so expensive! You do get a little zip tie and tiny wire harness because the f- 150's had fire issues so that little harness is a new and improved "fused" one. When you receive it just unscrew the old one with a crescent wrench and screw on the new one, quickly though so alot of brake fluid won't leak out, then just tighten it snug and reconnect the wire harness, go above 30 mph and hit the on button then the set/acl button with the plus on it and it should show a green indicator on the dash showing the cruise has turned in and has been set.

like people were saying, checking the brake switch under the master cylinder is a good place to start. There is a cutoff switch of some sort related to the ABS system i think.

Back