2005 Ford Explorer v8 Xlt with 85,000 miles never had a tune up... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer v8 Xlt with 85,000 miles never had a tune up...

SteveBirnstiel

Reaction score
City, State
Millville, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
I want to take this to a reputable ford dealership nearby and get it tuned up. What should I have done?
I want this to be a travel vehicle (i.e. camping etc) and need it to be very reliable. I am the original owner since 30miles. It has been taken care of and oil changing every 3,000 miles etc. I just am not a car/truck guy and am not sure what I should have done to it to make it travel ready. Any help, suggestions? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would probably put a new fuel filter, spark plugs, clean the throttle body, and fresh fluid in the transfer case if applicable. Service the transmission too.

I would probably put a new fuel filter, spark plugs, clean the throttle body, and fresh fluid in the transfer case if applicable. Service the transmission too.
Great. Thank you for the reply.

If you have the 4.0 V6, get the timing belt tensioners changed. This is less of a "travel ready" maintenance and more of a "long-term life of the engine" maintenance.

Also know the age of your battery. You want a good one when traveling.

If you have the 4.0 V6, get the timing belt tensioners changed. This is less of a "travel ready" maintenance and more of a "long-term life of the engine" maintenance.
Just saw your thread title with the engine... whoops... well, I think the v8 had tensioners too at some point.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, it has the V8 motor (chain then right?)

I am going to take a wild guess that this is expensive to have done?

Sorry, I forgot to mention, it has the V8 motor (chain then right?)
Yea, they both have chains with tensioners, I mis-typed. It's a bad design by

I am going to take a wild guess that this is expensive to have done?
It's a lot more expensive to leave it alone and toast the timing chain. I know the v8 is a little more involved than the v6 (v6 can be done without removing parts besides the tensioners, V8 looks like you have to pull the timing cover off), but the tensioner replace is a loooooot cheaper than the whole engine.

This video, and Parts 2 and 3, show the replacement procedure for the whole timing chain tensioner and guide assembly, but the work is pretty much the same. for just the tensioners.

At 85K I don't think I would be concerned about working on the timing chains. I have 200K on my 05 V8 and have not done anything to my chains/tensioners. Since you do regular oil changes I would guess the timing components are fine. Unless you are hearing noises from the front of the block I wouldn't worry about it at this time.

I had my 07 4.0 completely "tuned up" when I bought it. basically, I told them to do their 100,000 mile maintenance package. Cost was $600. But it was worth it.

Yea, they both have chains with tensioners, I mis-typed. It's a bad design by

It's a lot more expensive to leave it alone and toast the timing chain. I know the v8 is a little more involved than the v6 (v6 can be done without removing parts besides the tensioners, V8 looks like you have to pull the timing cover off), but the tensioner replace is a loooooot cheaper than the whole engine.

This video, and Parts 2 and 3, show the replacement procedure for the whole timing chain tensioner and guide assembly, but the work is pretty much the same. for just the tensioners.

Way past what I am comfortable doing alone. But I added the videos to my favorites for when I find someone to help, thanks!

Just do what @drdoom said. Plugs and fuel filter. You can still have the tranny serviced for the first time at that mileage.

Don't get taken. Check rates and see about a local repair shop that is highly recommended. Some dealers are great, some take you for all you have.

Don't worry about coils or boots if you have no codes. Don't worry about the timing until you get a rattle or around 150k.

Take a look at your upper control arm boots. If they are OE, they are proabbaly torn.

Back