2005 Lexus gx470 build

carlover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Some of you might know or remember me from my crazy desert explorer build from years back. Well i picked this bad boy up before covid to build a simple and capable exploring rig. Got it for a steal at $6200
20200202-140915.jpg

20200202-140931.jpg

Added Icon coilovers, rear shock, lift springs and 33's
20201226-134306.jpg

20201226-134246.jpg

20201226-134246.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@carlover That is one magnificent piece of junk! Those Lexus SUV's are legendary. I've seen a lot of them, but I never knew you could get prerunner fenders for them. Great work there, I know it puts a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel!

Some day, I might build a long-travel Explorer... ha ha.

If I may be so bold, what is the difference between your front track width and your rear track width?

These are pretty great. You get that capability of a 4Runner, and the Luxury of a Lexus. A lot of people are picking these up to build them.

so this is going the same way as the X now? :p

@carlover That is one magnificent piece of junk! Those Lexus SUV's are legendary. I've seen a lot of them, but I never knew you could get prerunner fenders for them. Great work there, I know it puts a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel!

Some day, I might build a long-travel Explorer... ha ha.

If I may be so bold, what is the difference between your front track width and your rear track width?

Its around 9 inches wider in the front.

These are pretty great. You get that capability of a 4Runner, and the Luxury of a Lexus. A lot of people are picking these up to build them.
I love the thing so far. And i got it before the prices got crazy which is good.

so this is going the same way as the X now? :p
No way lol, those days are done for me. i want something quiet and comfortable but very capable and this fits everything.

Well done!! I love it

Well done!! I love it
Thank you sir, its coming together nicely. Need to figure out more travel in the rear but for now it works well and is very comfy and reliable.

@carlover Sheesh, and I thought my 3 inches wider in the front was outlandish. Envy envy!

It's got rear leaf springs, right? Longer springs and longer shackles are always an option! Modifying or replacing the brackets seems like you could pretty much put whatever leaf/shackle combo you wanted.

so when are you going to barstow to test this stuff out ;) (or elsewhere barstow is just the first one that comes to mind, and its still somewhat close since youre in fontana)

@carlover Sheesh, and I thought my 3 inches wider in the front was outlandish. Envy envy!

It's got rear leaf springs, right? Longer springs and longer shackles are always an option! Modifying or replacing the brackets seems like you could pretty much put whatever leaf/shackle combo you wanted.
Rear is actually a coil spring link setup. So its somewhat limited. But if i can get 14 to 14.5 inches of usable wheel travel i can dial in the shocks and itll work well
so when are you going to barstow to test this stuff out ;) (or elsewhere barstow is just the first one that comes to mind, and its still somewhat close since youre in fontana)
Been out a few times, barstow, big bear, and lytle creek and it works pretty well.

@carlover Oh, I see. Yeah, that does complicate matters a bit, but do some research and consider the rear coil springs from a modern 1500-class pickup. Lifted rear coils for those are pricey, but not hard to find! You'd pretty much just need to fab some brackets.

Back