2005 Mountaineer AWD Premier Wheel Bearing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Mountaineer AWD Premier Wheel Bearing

Scruffypuppy

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Joseph, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mercury Mountaineer
After losing a rear wheel due to broken studs about 2 weeks ago & replacing numerous parts I've came to the conclusion that the wheel bearing was likely shot causing an out-of-round rotation on my rear left wheel, took the knuckle assembly off & while attempting to press out the hub from the bearing ended up bending the knuckle as the hub was so hard to press out!!! So now I'm down to a hub/bearing/knuckle replacement and I've noticed that Moog offers a complete knuckle/hub/bearing assembly all ready to install (Moog P/N LK001) however it says it fits models except traction control, my question now is my Mountaineer is equipped with Advancetrac which is what I thought to be the traction control system however I thought all Mountaineers whether they be 2WD or AWD had the AdvanceTrac system or a traction control system, could someone please correct me or confirm for me on this matter & let me know if anyone has used this part from Moog to know if it'll fit my Mountaineer?

advance trac is an anti skid device that is monitored by your anti lock brakes sensor, for rollover .
Added later in the model year were sensors designed to trigger the airbags if an impending rollover was detected. Marketed as Roll Stability Control, this was Ford's direct response to the deadly rollover accidents attributed to earlier Explorers and/or their Firestone tires. A new antiskid system was also made available at about the same time. Called Advance Trac, it mirrored similar systems on other SUVs in being designed to keep the vehicle on its intended path by adjusting engine power and braking individual wheels as needed. The adjustments were made by a computer taking in data from various sensors, including the wheel-speed sensors of the still-standard antilock four-wheel disc brakes.

advance trac is an anti skid device that is monitored by your anti lock brakes sensor, for rollover .
Added later in the model year were sensors designed to trigger the airbags if an impending rollover was detected. Marketed as Roll Stability Control, this was Ford's direct response to the deadly rollover accidents attributed to earlier Explorers and/or their Firestone tires. A new antiskid system was also made available at about the same time. Called Advance Trac, it mirrored similar systems on other SUVs in being designed to keep the vehicle on its intended path by adjusting engine power and braking individual wheels as needed. The adjustments were made by a computer taking in data from various sensors, including the wheel-speed sensors of the still-standard antilock four-wheel disc brakes.
@07gtman
I knew theseystems were pretty complicated, but never really imagined......after the problems I had with standard ABS in my '04, I thanked lucky stars it was not equipped with the optional systems. imp

Back