2005 spark plugs and ignition coils | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 spark plugs and ignition coils

martin_95037

Reaction score
City, State
Morgan Hill, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer EB 4.6 V8
hello

I need to replace my spark plugs and ignition coils as it is past their time. Is there anything information I should take into consideration when doing this job. I know that ther is a spark plug removal tool that is used when removing them from some engines. From what I have read on the forum I don’t need that for this engine, but I am curious if one is made in the event that I have a real bad day real quick. I was planning on getting the plugs from the dealership and bringing a spark plug gap checker with me when I go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I changed the plugs and coils on my 05 it was pretty straight forward. Just make sure you have the plug socket tightly attached to the extension.

Edit: Your profile shows you have the 5.4L in your truck, is this a replacement or a typo? My experience is on the factory 4.6L.

That's a typo, 4.6 is correct.

Access is actually good on the 4.6. Take your time and use a good quality spark plug socket. If your coils are not misfiring then prob not necessary to change the entire coil. I did change all my boots and springs when doing plug change. A set of good ones on Rockauto is under $25 bucks and easy to change while the coil is out. You could also get Motorcraft plugs on a site like Rockauto for under $3.00 a piece. I would definitely recommend the Motorcraft plugs

I went to ford to buy all the parts. 7 new coils and 8 spark glues, 603.00 bucks. Coil number 8 was replaced about 30,000 miles ago due to water getting on top of the coil.

The reason why I want to replace the coils is because my mechanic advised me to. No my coils are not misfiring. I also don’t know how old the are. Is there any information on inspecting an ignition coil for wear and damage?

Current mileage is approaching 210,000. I have put about 40,000 on the car sine June 2014.

Make sure to change plugs on a cold engine. If the plugs haven't been changed for a while, spray a little penetrant into the spark plug holes.
Removing is the easy part. When installing, be sure to use anti-sieze, these are aluminum heads and the threads can gall easily. It helps with the next removal also. TTA (torque to angle), not to recommended specs. Seat the plug, and an 1/8 turn is all that is required.

Coils #4 and #8 go bad because of rainwater dripping through the cowl vents.
Really stupid design. I sealed mine with silicone. Everyone should.

What does it mean to "torque to angle"?

Back