2005 Spindle Stub Shaft impossible to find :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Spindle Stub Shaft impossible to find :(

BofaFett

Reaction score
City, State
Arvada, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
I took my 2005 explorer in to get new bearings on the front and was told that it was completely miss the spindle stub shaft on both sides. I cant locate replacements anywhere. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Huh?

4 door?

2wd or 4wd? I assume 2wd..

Take it somewhere else. There is no such thing. Total incompetence there (or total scammers).

The only part needed to replace the front wheel bearings on a 4X2 or 4X4 is the hub bearing assembly which is $56.79 at RockAuto.

Read here and watch this video.

I thought maybe the 2wd trucks had different front bearings kind of like the Rangers. But nope, they are just like the 4x4 explorers, except they don’t have the axle through the middle.

@BofaFett You have nothing missing on your truck, that’s why you can’t find it. To the untrained eye it will appear like something is missing. Watch the first video in the link I sent.

As far as the shop... As a mechanic it’s hard sometimes to know every single thing about any vehicle that comes through the shop. It’s a lot of crap to try and remember, lol. I doubt they were trying to scam you, especially because they would never be able to sell you a part that doesn’t exist.

I would explain to them that people on the internet, that you’ve never met, said your truck isn’t missing anything. And that We (Well at least one of us) politely said they were wrong. Then see what they have to say. I would judge them by their response to being wrong, rather than the fact they were wrong.

By the way, I hate hearing about the people on the internet at work, but I humbly admit when I’m wrong.

Ok, let us know how it goes.

As far as the shop... As a mechanic it’s hard sometimes to know every single thing about any vehicle that comes through the shop. It’s a lot of crap to try and remember, lol. I doubt they were trying to scam you, especially because they would never be able to sell you a part that doesn’t exist.

Maybe so but all legitimate shops have access to Mitchell1/Alldata/Service Manuals etc and they should have looked it up before sending a potential customer on a wild goose chase looking for something that does not exist.

Maybe so but all legitimate shops have access to Mitchell1/Alldata/Service Manuals etc and they should have looked it up before sending a potential customer on a wild goose chase looking for something that does not exist.

True

Rear wheels have it. Front wheels dont.

Attachments

• IMG-0653.jpg
    IMG-0653.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG-0652.jpg
    IMG-0652.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 71

Rear wheels have it. Front wheels dont.

Right, that’s how it was built from Ford. Your truck is only rear wheel drive. The “Spindle Stub Shaft” shown in the rear wheel picture is actually the rear axle.

Right, that’s how it was built from Ford. Your truck is only rear wheel drive. The “Spindle Stub Shaft” shown in the rear wheel picture is actually the rear axle.
Thanks for all your help. I feel much better now :)

Back