2005 Sport Trac Cranking but won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport Trac Cranking but won't start

chadaway

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi everyone I'm newly registered, but have been sifting through the threads for help, and couldn't find my exact issue. I was driving my Sport Trac home the other day, turned onto my road, and then the check gauges, check engine, and ABS lights all came on and the engine died. Coasted to side and got towed home in the morning. I was told it's most likely a coincidence, but I had just engaged 4WD high since the road was iced over. Oil and coolant levels are fine.When I turn the key the engine cranks, but will not start. However, it will start if we spray starting fluid into the intake. Replaced fuel filter and pump, but still won't start on its own.
I'm starting to worry, and trying to figure this out on my own as opposed to having it towed to the dealership and paying $108 just to diagnose it.
Any one have this problem /ideas/solutions? My buddys trying to diagnose it right now without scan tools.
I've heard a lot of talk about it being a bad relay, but my uncle keeps telling me it's not.
Haven't had the truck for 9 days and I've had to find a ride 10 miles to work everyday and still going!
Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the inertia switch?

Good call Helmut..
I'm guessing it worked..??

Replaced fuel filter and pump, but still won't start on its own.
That would be a good lesson, and wouldn't be the first time it's happened. :eek:

If all else fails, read the owners manual. ;)
FUEL PUMP SHUT-OFF SWITCH

This device stops the electric fuel pump from sending fuel to the engine when your vehicle has had a substantial
jolt. After an accident, if the engine cranks but does not start, this switch may have been activated.

Page 187
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/05p27og3e.pdf

The inertia switch on my daughter's Sable tripped a couple of years ago for no reason she could think of. She had a carload of people, so it likely bottomed out pulling into a driveway. My in-law's driveway is a sharp slope down to a flat street. My wife went down it one day in our small station wagon & the trailer hitch smacked the driveway & tripped the inertia switch. That's where I learned about inertia switches - after I changed the fuel pump of course. Not likely a Sport Trac bottomed out, but my point is it sometimes doesn't take much to trip the switch. At least it's a good, free, and easy, thing to check first.

Inertia switches are weak. I still have a bad switch from a 2003 Ranger Edge I sold a few years ago. I press the button in, I hear it click, and I give it a light tap with my fingertip and it trips. I did a cross reference of replacement part numbers and found that the inertia switch from the Ranger is the same as what's already in my 2002 Sport Trac. It should only take a hard impact to trip the inertia switch.

Back