2005 Sport Trac door bottom weather strip retainer ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport Trac door bottom weather strip retainer ?

smalltownusa

Reaction score
City, State
Western Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4WD
I decided check inside my door for rust then spray some Rustoleum rust converter. Surprisingly there was no rust inside the door bottom just that outside bottom seam.
To paint that seam I needed to remove bottom weather strip. It's held on with about 5 of those plastic retaining clips (if that's what you call them).

Of course more than a few broke on removal so I am searching everywhere for replacements. Does anybody know where I can buy them.
They look like a small T. The top legs of the T slip into a hole in the weather strip, and the shaft pushes into the door to hold it tight.

I'll try the dealer, but in the past they have been less than helpful.
Job almost complete, just need for rust converter to dry then spray with a top coat of matching paint if I can find some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IDK exactly what your door clips look like, but I've had pretty good success finding replacement plastic retainer clips at my AutoZone store (and I'm sure other auto parts also sell them). They have a spinning-type Dorman display with various plastic retainers (and metal stuff too). I've usually been able to find something that will work, even if not the identical OE part.

Thanks koda I'll check them out. At least I have one that appears close to original that I will bring with me.

Well I tried Auto Zone and advance auto parts with no luck, but while scouting about today I found another poster on here discussing removing the cladding and they had link to Clipsandfasteners.com. looks like they have the part. Had to order 100, but with shipping it was only $14.58 delivered.
This site stated they were for Ford Explorer weatherstrip clip 2005 on, and were no longer available from OE.
Measured the one I have with a caliper and they appear to be the same. I'll know shortly !

P.S. after reading about cladding removal, and peeking under mine I'm not looking forward to that job. I already know rust has taken its toll.

Just wanted to close by saying that my order for the weather strip retainers had come in and were a perfect replacement.

Still dreading trying to remove my cladding. I'm sure it's all rusted under there.

Back