2005 Sport trac rear parking brake shoes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport trac rear parking brake shoes

smalltownusa

Reaction score
City, State
Western Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4WD
I have 4 wheel disc brakes, but my parking brake is the old shoes. I have the passenger side off to be able to compare with the "intact" driver side.
So far I can't figure out how to get the top inner spring on both shoes. The outer at least I will be able to see.
I have the Hayes manual, but unfortunately it shows pictures and instructions for prior years that are not at all like my 2005.
I start by attaching the rear top spring to my left shoe, putting it in place then trying to reach behind the right shoe (not much room) to attach it to the right shoe.

At this point I have not attached any of the "keepers" to hold the shoes in place thinking it would give me more wiggle room. Maybe I am not getting enough pull to stretch the spring, but there is so little room to work.
I got to thinking maybe there is a trick that somebody who has done it before me could share.

I am reusing the old springs etc., but realize that I should replace them also so just to get this thing moving I am using the old. Once complete I will order the new hardware and repeat in a different garage bay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

swshawii I knew I could count on you. I just came in from the garage after trying it "six ways from Sunday". I was finally able to get the inside top spring on by:
Taking the two shoes in my hands, and installing the top rear spring.
Holding both shoes apart, and making sure the mechanism that operates the shoes from the cable is pushed back to allow the spring to drop under the mechanism.
Installed the "keeper" on one shoe, and properly positioned that shoe.
I had to muscle the second shoe in place, but it did go.

I was going to ask if the star adjuster faced forward or back, but looking at your link It appears that the star adjuster wheel would always face the front ? Not sure now I guess trial and error. I'll try and see if it lines up with the adjustment hole.

Got to leave for a bit, but will try to install the star adjuster when I get back.

Pulling the shoes back off. Realized I should have dabbed a little grease on the backing plate where the shoes rub. Looking at the adjuster am I wrong saying these brakes are not self adjusting ? I don't see any "finger" that would work the star adjuster automatically. It's just the adjuster, and a small spring that sits blow it to hold the bottom of the shoes tight together.

Definitely NOT "self adjusting" parking brake shoes. Release the parking brake and remove the rubber adjuster covers.
Use a stubby flat blade screwdriver and turn star adjuster until the shoes are tight against the drum. Loosen the adjuster
4-5 clicks, or just enough where the shoes aren't touching the drum. Repeat other side and test.

Ok Thanks. Swshawaii would silicon caliper grease be ok to put under the raised surfaces where the parking brake shoes slide ?
I've got some Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube, also thinking about using it on the adjuster

Good choice. IMO, silicone caliper grease or Sil-Glyde is probably the best because of it's heat and water resistance. I'd adjust them after the tires are on, and you can check P/B pedal travel while parked on a hill. IIRC, to tighten shoes, turn the star adjuster down for the driver side, up for passenger. BTW, glad you are referring to them as PARKING brakes. Too many people call them emergency or "E brakes". They are parking brakes that can be used to slow down a vehicle in case of an emergency. LOL

EDIT- Actually says use "Silicone Brake Caliper Grease" on parking brake shoe contact points in the pdf.

Well I fought with installing the rear caliper for quite some time. I could not believe something so simple as reattaching the caliper was giving my such a hard time.

First I realized that the metal clips that the disc pads slide on did not seem to be fitting right, they were rocking a little, and each time I tried to install the caliper the clip(s) would fall out. I cleaned them several times with a Dremel wire brush, and finally scraped lightly with a file. There was hard rust under the clip area.
Now the clips fit on tight, and stay in place.

I next tried to reinstall the caliper. Should be a breeze right ! Dam thing wouldn't cooperate. I said some bad words, but still no luck.
The caliper would fit with the rotor removed. The pads looked like the right pads maybe they are to thick I thought. Over and over, but no luck. Finally I could hear a soft clunking, and when I looked down I could see that the bottom of the pads were not going forward enough to seat on the slide. Something was in the way. Frustrated I left the garage for the evening.:banghead:

This AM I walked out sat down on my stool took off the caliper and reinstalled the rotor, and just before I tried to install the caliper I thought what if I push on the slide pins?
Of course when I pushed on the slide pins they went back and stayed, and my caliper went on slick as butter (or assembly fluid if you have been reading my thread)

So that wheel is back together, and I am removing and stripping the last rear caliper to finally clean it up in an electrolysis bath.

Thanks for hanging in there with me swshawaii !

My issue was getting the rear rotors off the hubs. Despite heat, BFH, and brute force they would not break free. Then I heard the bells. Release the freaking parking brake, genius. Surprised I didn't ruin the shoes the first time I drove the Trac 17 miles with the parking brake on, despite the warning light. Two senior moments I'm not real proud of, even for a hack like me. :banghead:

Cleaning brake hardware surfaces thoroughly, and lubing ALL contact points is a must. Despite my rear pads having molded in shims, I still had low speed brake noise. Ended up removing them again and applied a thin coat of Permatex brake lube on the piston and shim contact points. Noise gone. Sure you know 2004-05 ST rear brake calipers have phenolic pistons. Steel pistons used on earlier 2003 ST's use much larger clips that will not fit the small phenolic bores. 2001-02 had drum brakes.

My parking brake pedal is tight about half way down. Keep posted on your progress.

swshawaii having a little difugilty getting the parking brake shoes seated on the driver side. I've got the forward most shoe somewhat in place, but it almost seems like there should be a notch for the rear most shoe to slide into. The mechanism that operates the shoes seems to be in the way, and it has a lot of play which makes me wonder if everything is ok. It moves around, but it doesn't seem to be like the passenger side. Any chance that you might have a detailed photo of the driver side shoe parking brake operating parts. If not I will start pulling the passenger side apart to compare.

Sorry, I was doing my 15k throttle body, IAC, MAF, and aFe Pro Dry-S air filter cleaning.

No driver side pics, as mentioned I've never replaced PB shoes, and hope I never have to.

Finally got the driver side parking brake shoes on. Your PDF that I used for the passenger side is the same for the driver side. The driver side for some reason was a more troublesome. After pulling the passenger side apart I could see they are the same. I finally realized that I could push on the hardware at the top of the where the shoes are held. If I push back and up at the same time there is just enough that with a little tugging the spring popped under the hardware. No I need to bleed everything.
Thanks again swshawii.

P.S. I started another thread yesterday as I am trying to drain my old gas out. Getting close to a restart !!!

Great to hear smalltown. :thumbsup: IF I ever have to do this and get stumped, I'll message YOU. :)

It's now habit for me to release the parking brake BEFORE shifting into gear. As mentioned, first time I drove the ST I left the parking brake on for miles. Hot enough where I could actually smell the shoes burning. Applaud you for getting it done, hope I never need to. LOL

Back