2005 Sport Trac transmission dipstick? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport Trac transmission dipstick?

casdancan

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Hey e1, I have a 2005 sport trac adrenalin 4x4 and I am planning to change my tranny fluid soon as I am at 85000 km. I have been reading the forums and they all say that the trans is sealed and you need that special tool but looking in the engine bay I noticed that I have a Trans dipstick. Just curious whats up with that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are probably talking about the 2007+ Sport Trac tranny being sealed. I've heard that before about the 3rd Gen 4 door Explorers. And the 2nd Gen Sport Tracs are like the 3rd Gen 4 door ones.

I don't know if this has been discussed before, maybe someone will know.
In reference to the later sealed transmissions, is that an attempt to limit non-dealer interaction (and possible contamination of the factory spec. fluid.
It seems like somthing that might be done to see if less tampering= longer / better service life.

A long while ago a postal repair manager told me of a study the Govt. was doing on some of their fleet vehicles. With postal delivery vehicles producing
some excellent punishment with stoping and starting at every mailbox six days
a week. The fleets at a shop were divided into two groups, each group had
the same assortment of vehicles.

Group A - received normal scheduled maintence making sure the automatic
transmission received the required services, filters, fluid changes, pan gaskets
and any adjustments that might be indicated, bands etc.

Group B - received normal scheduled maintence for all other systems- but specifically left the Auto trans untouched.

As the study was going on, some of the Group A vehicles were growing their
own group of sub problems, pan gasket reseal/ retighten, adjustments, etc.
and maybe drivability complaints. With the additional shop hours charged accordingly to that vehicle.

The Group B vehicles transmissions remained untouched 'sealed and taged'
for the normal service life of the vehicle- or until failure.
As a result the group had no trans related charges unless a major failure occured.

The goal here was' as I understand it' to determine the more cost effective
and or useful method to deal with an automatic trans.

This was before any of todays electronic controlled transmissions, which have their own set of delicate problems. But at the time the study seeming
to show that the transmissions were doing quite well being left alone.
I never heard the final result.

But just as many of us on here find it necessary or desireable to perform many
service/ repair tasks ourselves - it is also quite possible to pay a wide variety
of service centers to perform less than correct service. With bulk fluid choices, flushing machines ( that were hooked to any number of contaminated
transmissions before yours or mine) and might be operated by a less than qualified operator - these might be the same oil change crews that put the wrong oil in, top off the master cylinder with some other fluid (that was a scarry ride)- leave the cap off, leave the drain plug loose, etc.

So my question is this, are the transmissions sealed to try and limit the number and type of people touching them? And if so, has it had the
desired effect of allowing the transmissions to function better?

Anyone have any input?

I had a 2005 Sport Trac before, which had a transmission dipstick. My 2008 does not.

- it is also quite possible to pay a wide variety of service centers to perform less than correct service. With bulk fluid choices....these might be the same oil change crews that put the wrong oil in,
Would that include the Ford dealer who insists on putting 5w-20 into my 4.0 SOHC when that is the ONE engine that Ford still specifies 5w-30 for? (I always change my own but they gave me coupons for my first four oil changes free. I'd go home and put the correct oil in and at least the filter was free. Only bothered going back there twice.)

Good point, maybe the engineers thought it safer to keep their own people out also.

But then again they 'invented' the oil pressure gauge operated by an on/off switch.

Is that an industry trend to delete the dipstick on the trans?

Is that an industry trend to delete the dipstick on the trans?
Yes it is. My wife's old Grand Am didn't have one either, nor do many imports.

Is there an after market kit for this transmission? How is it serviced? I like to change fluid every 6 - 12 months but the Ford dealer ship is expensive for this service. I have a 2005, 4.0 FWD Explorer and would like to be able to service the transmission as needed without alot of unecessary expense. What adjustments are necessary in fluid and filter change?

Here's the section on transmissions with lots of useful sticky threads...

Changing the transmission fluid is usually called doing a flush. I had a Jiffy Lube do it once for around $90. The big cost I think is due to the fact that I think the transmission holds around 14 or 15 quarts of fluid.

The dipstick is missing on most new transmissions because they want you to go to a dealer to have it serviced. They tell you that it's sealed when it's not. It has a plug for checking the level, and refilling it. Some aftermarket companies have kits to add your own dipstick.

The 2005 has a dipstick. I have used my fluid extractor to suck fluid out of it. I only got a quart and a half, but my tube was fully inserted and I ran out of excess tube.

I went to a local oil change shop the other day because its so damn cold here I did not want to do my own oil. They were able to use a longer tube on their fluid vac and get 5 quarts out of the tranny that way.

My Tranny schedule is every 10K to replace the fluid in the pan. With the stock tranny pan, the only way is to suck it out of the tranny dipstick tube.

At 50K, 100K, 150K, I plan to drop the pan and do the filter.

I am looking at an aftermarket aluminum pan on line that comes with a magnetic drain bolt in it, which would make it super easy to drain and refill the tranny (http://www.partshp.com/Pans.htm ). Its oversized though, so I still need to get under the truck to be sure one will fit. My plan is to install one of these at my 50K service. I would allow me to add a couple more quarts over stock, and they claim the aluminum fins allow the fluid to cool better. Not sure if this is true or not.

Why do a percentage of the fluid so often? My last Explorer when through a tranny every 100K. I do not want to repeat this with this one. Wally world mercon 5 is cheap. Sucking out and replacing a few quarts is easy (a bolt in the pan would be easier!). I R&Red the tranny in my old Explorer and that was a pain in the arss!

Back