2005 Sport Trac - What is this called? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport Trac - What is this called?

Bakstop25

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLS
Stsh9OOb.jpg
hOCUlfIb.jpg
IiNCy9Lb.jpg

We have a basic XLS, pretty much no packages, no keyless entry, no alarm etc. When we bought the car secondhand we were told this was a security device and to use this in case the car won't start. We assumed it was a Ford product. You press it once near the ignition and it lights up red, you turn the key and the truck starts. It must have a sensor that has to be within a required distance. I never thought much of it. We've needed to use it a few times over the years (never really knowing why), replacing the battery as necessary. The truck has 140k miles on it. All of a sudden we can't start the truck without using this device. Is there something wrong with the starting system that I need to fix? Beyond using this thing, the truck turns over just fine. I'm concerned because if this device craps out, then what? I've looked up the PATS/Securilock sytem information for images of key fobs I've looked up the 2005 Sport Trac manual. Nothing I've seen thus far addresses what this is at all. Any information I've seen regarding ignition security only indicates a key fob that is more like square type key fob that locks/unlocks and has a panic button

Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like we have the same model without keyless entry. Regarding your vehicle not starting, does it crank? If so, first place I'd check is the fuel pump cutoff (inertia) switch next to the passenger side kick panel. To check your vehicle features, select vehicle, enter VIN, and click minor features.

https://www.etis.ford.com/

Sounds like we have the same model without keyless entry. Regarding your vehicle not starting, does it crank? If so, first place I'd check is the fuel pump cutoff (inertia) switch next to the passenger side kick panel. To check your vehicle features, select vehicle, enter VIN, and click minor features.

https://www.etis.ford.com/
It turns over just fine, as long as you press the button on the device. I'll check out the link. Thx.

Definitely aftermarket, sounds like a remote starter kill switch. Any writing on the fob? Anxious to see pics. GL

Possibly remote starter. Try standing outside of vehicle & push button twice. If it's a remote start it should start with one or two pushes of the button

Back