2005 Taurus SE - gauges dont work intermittenly - with video | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Taurus SE - gauges dont work intermittenly - with video

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
Seems voltage related

The pattern seems to be when you're on the gas, they work.
Off the gas, and the battery light comes on, and all needles just drop
Car runs fine either way!

I had the battery checked by Autozone and its fine.
Next step is to take the alternator and have that tested.

Any other ideas?

I had a similar issue in my Explorer, the gauges would go wacko when the battery was low. New battery fixed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update
-=-=-=-
I noticed tonight...
The fuel gauge works all the time

When the tach does not work, the speedo does not work.
The temp gauge is intermittent too but is independent of the tach/speedo

I also noticed that when the problem occurs, the AC is warm!
When the needles start to work again, it gets cold. The fan works all the time, I can get heat, but AC seems to be intermittent too like the gauges.

From the Instrument Cluster Diagnostics I got the following DTC's

$D900
$C002
$9318
$9208

The only one I can find the meaning for is $9318 - Battery Voltage Low
which makes since as the battery light is on when this stuff does not work!

But Autozone checked battery and alternator, both are good, I even put in another battery out of my truck, same symptoms.

When the problem is happening...
in the cluster diagnostics, the TACH will say 'MIS', as will
- Coolant Temp
- Odometer
- Charge State
- PCM Telltale Data
- FF Alcohol
- PRNDL State
- ABS TT State

When working, all those will read the correct values.

The gauge test works, all needles will sweep so Believe the cluster is good.

Questions
=============
Are there any module(s) that control one or more of these gauge(s)?
I think I need to check power/ground connections to the PCM, any hints on how to do this?

Here's a video... I pulled on a parking lot on the way and got a video of the "events"

I know the CEL is on, its always on p0426 - Fuel pressure sensor, I dont think its related to the gauge issue

They are known for instrument cluster problems. There are some places which will repair them on the internet for like $200.

$89 diagnostic later...
its an alternator problem. Its intermittent issue.
So I'll be picking up another alternator today, fingers crossed!

Well holy $h!t... I checked every ground, every positive wire under the hood
Disconnected the large fuse/relay box, cleaned up its connections to the battery with no good results.

Decided to take out the cluster, look around, and put it back to see if it made any difference.
and wouldn't you know it the problem seems to be the cluster...

I took it out, and the harness was long enough to plug it in on top of the dash. I found that if I squeezed the cluster in the middle behind the fuel gauge the battery light went out and the gauges worked.

If I let go, the battery light would come on and the gauges would drop..
Did it 100 times, same result every time.

Took the cluster apart, wiggled any solder connections and tried again but it would not work without squeezing it.

SO ........ Im off to find a used cluster tomorrow!

Did you see if there is a break in the area where you have to squeeze it? It might be a broken foil trace that could be soldered.

Yeah I popped the needles off and removed the circuit board, didnt see anything that was cracked or looked burned. Where Im pressing on the board, there are no circuits.. seems just bending the board makes something connect but I dont see what.

Found a local cluster, $100, picking it up tomorrow.
I thought about rolling up some electrical tape, putting it in there and screwing it all back together, it might work... but the car is a flipper, and I dont need someone bringing it back to me in a week when it stops working again. I dont sell like that :D got to fix it right!

It's too bad that other people selling their vehicles can't have the same level of honesty. Sometimes people just advertise something as buy it at your own risk or selling as is. A buyer could pick on something like that, and expect to get several hundred off of the price even though it cost $100 for the part (labor is a different story).

It's too bad that other people selling their vehicles can't have the same level of honesty. Sometimes people just advertise something as buy it at your own risk or selling as is. A buyer could pick on something like that, and expect to get several hundred off of the price even though it cost $100 for the part (labor is a different story).

Thanks!
I got a really good deal on the car because of this issue, so Ive got a lot of room to play and pass a good deal on to the next person with a few extra dollars in my pocket:thumbsup:

Oh.. and forgot to mention that when I would squeeze the board, and the battery light would go off, and the gauges would work, the CEL went out too! Bonus!

I told you it was the instrument cluster lol.

Back