• Register Today It's free!

2005 Trasnmission issues

Maddux31

Reaction score
City, State
Marion, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Placed explorer into gear, truck moved forward just a bit, now nothing in any gear. No codes and no prior issues.
Can you fellows give me a list of things to check before I send it off for a rebuild?
Every local garage that I have spoken to say the same thing.....rebuild.
I have read over the forums and seems like all the other post have reverse working, or one of the lower gears working, mine has nothing. I have also read on the forums about how to check the gear shift position sensor...by checking the reverse lights or seeing if it will start in drive....is this correct?
Thank you everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Maddux31, I was just about to post my own question along similar lines when I came across yours. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4x4, 4.0L Gas, with a 5R55W transmission. Car was running fine until I came out of restaurant and attempted to drive it. It starts just fine, both in park and neutral, does not start in any other gear (which I believes rules out the neutral safety switch), but when I try drive or any other gear, the car does not move. I do not hear any switching of the gearbox either. I have checked the linkage to the transmission but all seems well. In addition, the vehicle is throwing no codes. I had it towed home, and when I got it home it worked fine! Drove it several times without issue until today. Pulled it into the garage to do some service, turned it off to go inside and eat lunch. When I returned it had the same "no go" issue. I will continue to watch your post and hopefully someone can lead us to a possible solution. Note, I have also dropped the transmission pan and the fluid seems to be ok and with no debris.

Is this 4WD filter in the transmission or the transfer case?

No issues with transmission filter

Thanks guys for the help, but at this time, I will throw in the towel. At 140,000 miles, it is not worth $3000 for a rebuilt
trans.

Thanks guys for the help, but at this time, I will throw in the towel. At 140,000 miles, it is not worth $3000 for a rebuilt
trans.

I hear this all the time from my customers and I ask them would they buy that vehicle if it had a rebuilt transmission with a warranty for "3000"? Did you like the vehicle, does it serve a useful purpose? It's better than a car payment and you already know the vehicle and its issues versus buying a used vehicle with unknown issues. If it has other issues on top of the transmission failure it might not be worth it that would be your call.

It's worth next to nothing broken.

3000 seems a little high you should be able to find someone to rebuild it around 2500. I would stay away from a used one IMO.

Back