2005 XLT - Need help on opening stuck liftgate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 XLT - Need help on opening stuck liftgate

Hey everyone,

I'm currently stuck with a problem that was completely my own doing; I managed to get the liftgate stuck closed on our 2005 XLT. I was repairing the linkage for the liftgate glass and like an idiot I forgot to reconnect the metal rod (the one with the yellow plastic fittings on each end) to the main release handle, so now the liftgate won't open. So far I have had little success with trying the find a solution to this problem that doesn't involve a locksmith or Ford dealer.

I was hoping to be able to remove the main handle and try and reach the mechanism through the hole, but it's held on by two bolts but I haven't been able to identify. I initially thought they were pin-in-head hex bolts however this doesn't seem to be the case at all. The other approach would be to remove the interior trim panel, but I don't see a way of being able to remove it/open a wide enough gap from the inside without destroying the panel as it's a single piece of plastic and it's pinned at the bottom.

Does anybody know the exact type and dimensions of those two bolts, or other advice on what my best bet is to get this liftgate open? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Weather cleared up so I was able to get a picture of the bolts.
20210220_151143.jpg

Back