2005 XLT subwoofer drop-in upgrade? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 XLT subwoofer drop-in upgrade?

Am_Dew

Reaction score
City, State
Somehere in Northern CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
I have a 2005 XLT with the standard single CD audio system with factory sub installed in the rear hatch panel. If possible, I would like to upgrade the sub to something that sounds better without having to replace or add anything else...a simple drop in replacement would be ideal, but I can easily see how nothing will sound much better unless I repalce the head unit and/or add an external amp that will give the sub more power to draw from. Is there anything out there? Or will I have to wait until I upgrade the other components?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I were you, I would get a new headunit before putting in a new sub.

You would atleast need a new amp. I dont recomend replacing that factory sub with an aftermarket because it rattles alot and has pretty crappy sound quality. The stock amp in there is also not very powerful at all. Im not sure of the exact amount of watts but I know for sure its under 50. The stock one in there right now is probably only running at around 5 watts.

My advice : forget a sub-upgrade - swap your doorspeakers. Swapped the stock speakers with Infinity Kappa 575.2 CF on my 2006 Eddie, they make my mirrors dance :)

I have an 05 S/T and everyone says the same.

Leave the sub, upgrade the doors and see, then upgrade the amp. It's only putting out peak 60W.. they calm mine is a 260w system with 50w to each door and 60w to the Sub.

My wife's Madza 6 wagon sound so much better and I only think it's the doors. She have the BOSE system. So I'm Dynomatting the door and trowing in 3-way Kenwoods today. Already had them or would go Infinity 2-way componet.

I'm looking at replacing the sub amp with the one from the Adrelena package. it's suppose to be 100w amp for the sub. but if Ford is asking more then me cutting up some wire and adding an after marcket that's the way I'll go.

:rolleyes: :confused: :fire:

Shadow71 said:
I have an 05 S/T and everyone says the same.

Leave the sub, upgrade the doors and see, then upgrade the amp. It's only putting out peak 60W.. they calm mine is a 260w system with 50w to each door and 60w to the Sub.

My wife's Madza 6 wagon sound so much better and I only think it's the doors. She have the BOSE system. So I'm Dynomatting the door and trowing in 3-way Kenwoods today. Already had them or would go Infinity 2-way componet.

I'm looking at replacing the sub amp with the one from the Adrelena package. it's suppose to be 100w amp for the sub. but if Ford is asking more then me cutting up some wire and adding an after marcket that's the way I'll go.

:rolleyes: :confused: :fire:

Upgrading with a component system is nice, it also works better if you run an amp to the speaker as well as the sub. I am sure you could dynomat the factory sub and not worry about too much rattle. As far as the headunit you can buy the piece to piggyback off your stock unit to run an RCAs.

-Rich

Shadow71 said:
So I'm Dynomatting the door and trowing in 3-way Kenwoods today. Already had them or would go Infinity 2-way componet.

Those Kenwoods are actually one of the best speakers you can get for the money. They're a great deal.

I'd say just add in an Infinity BassLink. $300 bucks, fits under a seat, sounds great.

I replaced in that factory location with an aftermarket amp and it sounded horrible it rattled like crazy.

Back