• Register Today It's free!

2006 4.0 Explorer bad radiator

Martin Pickens

Reaction score
City, State
Powell OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
Any idea how much I could reasonably expect to sell my '06 Explorer XLT 4.0? It needs a new radiator and replacing it is much too complex a job for me to handle and I cannot afford the high labor costs.
135K miles
Everything works except for leaky radiator

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you looked at the cost of radiator and labor?

I am not sure I would sell a truck just because of a need for a radiator. Everything needs maintenance, pretty much, unless you buy new. And you pay for that as well.

Radiator replacement should not be that difficult, or that expensive, Radiator cost on the internet is very affordable, especially if you could find someone to help you or put it in themselves. Or shop around for the labor.

Bad transmissions, ruined engines, and rusted frames are usually the items that make sales financially necessary.

If you want to sell, then sell. But get the radiator replaced first anyway. Just my thoughts.

Good luck.

I just replaced my radiator earlier this month and it was not hard at all. I didnt buy the cheapest items nor the most expensive. Cost me $300 for everything.

I just replaced my radiator earlier this month and it was not hard at all. I didnt buy the cheapest items nor the most expensive. Cost me $300 for everything.
Transmission lines are too difficult to deal with. Even if I could get them off, I'm afraid I'd break something or strip the threads when installing to the new radiator. Even if that doesn't happen, since it's one of those crappy sealed transmissions with no dipstick (one of the dumbest things I've ever seen out of Ford) , how would I replace the transmission fluid that would leak out of the lines?

Have you looked at the cost of radiator and labor?

I am not sure I would sell a truck just because of a need for a radiator. Everything needs maintenance, pretty much, unless you buy new. And you pay for that as well.

Radiator replacement should not be that difficult, or that expensive, Radiator cost on the internet is very affordable, especially if you could find someone to help you or put it in themselves. Or shop around for the labor.

Bad transmissions, ruined engines, and rusted frames are usually the items that make sales financially necessary.

If you want to sell, then sell. But get the radiator replaced first anyway. Just my thoughts.

Good luck.
Well, problem is I'm broke and we're in bad financial distress, so that's why I was strongly considering selling it. Can't afford to have it professionally done and I've used up all my "favors" with someone I know who could help.

Back