2006 4 way wire harness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 4 way wire harness

:help:I have a 06 xlt with the standard 1 1/4 inch hitch that comes with a 4 flat trailer harness. My question is i see an additional wire thats blue and its tied to back behind the bumper, anybody know what this is?

I tested it with the back up lights on and it didn't work?

the for way includes left/right turn siginals, running lights, and brake lights, what is this fifth wire i see thats not conected to the 4 way connector?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:help:I have a 06 xlt with the standard 1 1/4 inch hitch that comes with a 4 flat trailer harness. My question is i see an additional wire thats blue and its tied to back behind the bumper, anybody know what this is?

I tested it with the back up lights on and it didn't work?

the for way includes left/right turn siginals, running lights, and brake lights, what is this fifth wire i see thats not conected to the 4 way connector?
FYI:

The four pin trailer connection is typically Left, Right, Running and Ground. Brake lights are actually part of Left and Right -- Left and Right take priority and override Brake if the two are on at the same time.
00004328.jpg

As for that blue wire -- blue I think usually means brake controller (for trailers with axles equipped with brakes) but I dunno if Explorers came with this. One way to test is to press the brake pedal and see if that wire goes "high". You might also notice a small little box no larger than a small book somewhere maybe near the dash area -- that is the brake controller.

thanks i will try that later,
any ideas as to how to install aux back up lights, i am thinking 2 55 watts

I want them to come on when i am in reverse and the parking lights are on, when the parking lights are off i do not want the aux lights to come on, can you help me?

Neat set up. I would go with two relays. Obviously, to start with, the fused power line from the battery to the 1st relay. The first relay has the battery power going into it and only comming out when the reverse lights are on because they are the power source to close the relay. Next the output of the first relay would feed into the second relay and the power would only go through when the parking lights are on because they are the power source to close this relay. Then the power output would go to the aux lights. Do not put the relays into the order of parking light then reverse light because this would always keep the relay energized when the parking lights are on and the aux lights are not needed. No big deal but why power it up if you don't have to. As for the power to trigger the relays that is up to you to find the easiest place to steal it from.

Neat set up. I would go with two relays. Obviously, to start with, the fused power line from the battery to the 1st relay. The first relay has the battery power going into it and only comming out when the reverse lights are on because they are the power source to close the relay. Next the output of the first relay would feed into the second relay and the power would only go through when the parking lights are on because they are the power source to close this relay. Then the power output would go to the aux lights. Do not put the relays into the order of parking light then reverse light because this would always keep the relay energized when the parking lights are on and the aux lights are not needed. No big deal but why power it up if you don't have to. As for the power to trigger the relays that is up to you to find the easiest place to steal it from.

Honda: Hold On Not Done Accelerating
Thanks i did this same thing on my old accord because my window tint was double limo and i couldn't see out the back window, i just didn't remeber how i did it cause my neighbor who is an auto electrician helped me. as for the relay being powerd on while the parking lights are on thats no big deal, its not like its going to hurt the relay.

Thanks again, your short refresher will help me remember how to do it, much thanks:D

as for the relay being powerd on while the parking lights are on thats no big deal, its not like its going to hurt the relay.

Thanks again, your short refresher will help me remember how to do it, much thanks:D

No it won't hurt it but why bother having it on when it is not needed. That is why I said that the relay activated by the reverse lights should be the first relay triggered.

No it won't hurt it but why bother having it on when it is not needed. That is why I said that the relay activated by the reverse lights should be the first relay triggered.

okay i get what your saying now, i was already planning on doing that. you are right i will make the first relay activate the second relay when i go into reverse

Come to think about it it doesn't really matter which is first because even if the parking light relay is second and the lights are on the circuit on the relay is closed. It just doesn't have the power going through it yet, but it is still being activated, so let me stand corrected and say it doesn't matter what order they are in.

<---- and that makes 1000 posts :thumbsup:

okay make up your mind do i do it so that the parking lights are first or the reverse lights, i need to know cause i plan on doing it this week

Back