• Register Today It's free!

2006 EB V8 Shifting problem

Triplany

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
I have a 06 EB with the v8. runs great, shifts smooth 99% of the time. But lately if I hit a bump/pothole while accelerating the explorer will sometimes drop to a lower gear as if I have depressed the gas further (which I know I have not) . No lights come on when this happens. I am not in OD at the time buest guess would be 3rd or 4th at the time.

Had the transmission pan dropped and new fluid/filter . Made overall shifting super smooth but did not solve the problem.

No Check engine light, No Wrench, No Traction control light comes on, nothing changes. Just drops to a lower gear.

Not sure how long it will stay in lower gear I normally panic as it startles me and I lift off the throttle and it shifts back up.

Any Ideas where to look?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shifting is controlled by mechatronic unit, or simply valve body. On the 6R it is integrated with the TCM.
There are 7 solenoids that open respectively to select a gear. They are known to get stuck or start malfunctioning at some point.
The cost is $ 2,000 from Ford, or you can get one rebuild and tested on eBay for $ 500. That's what I did.
That would be my first guess.
How many miles ?

140,000 miles . only ever towed a couple times and nothing crazy. It doesn't do it often either it will go months without doing it. probably done it 6 times in the last year. Maybe I should trade it in while I still can then. lol

:)
I'll take it from you for $ 100

Back