2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer Overheating? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer Overheating?

topnotch86

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Eddie Bauer
this started about a month ago, and has only happened 3-4 times, about once a week, but basically it happens when i come to a stop at a light or whatever then when i go to accelerate again, there is a very loud fan blowing sound coming from the engine and it starts to overheat, also doesnt accelerate very well when this is going on. once i turn the heat on and the engine cools it goes back to riding normal? any one have any idea what this could be? and what it might cost for a repair before i go into the dealership? any help would be greatly appreciated...will gladly provide more details if needed thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just looking for a ballpark estimate before i go to the shop with it and get charged an arm and a leg

Radiator leaks and cause los of coolant. The noise is the fan trying to keep it from overheating.

I do the easy stuff like checking or changing the coolant. Check radiator for leaks. 2006 V6 models had problems with cracked radiators. Some V8's as well. Possibly sticking thermostat also/

just got a call from ford going to cost $1080 to do the work for me, radiator and thermostats has to be replaced

not the news i was hoping for...but thanks for the help, ill have to bring it in for a look...thanks again

how many miles is on your vehicle, if its less than 36,000 get the ford esp...premium care and they will send an inspector over to your house to inspect the vehicle its $1600 for 2-years and 3-years is $2020 1-800-367-3377.

Premium care covers the radiator

this started about a month ago, and has only happened 3-4 times, about once a week, but basically it happens when i come to a stop at a light or whatever then when i go to accelerate again, there is a very loud fan blowing sound coming from the engine and it starts to overheat, also doesnt accelerate very well when this is going on. once i turn the heat on and the engine cools it goes back to riding normal? any one have any idea what this could be? and what it might cost for a repair before i go into the dealership? any help would be greatly appreciated...will gladly provide more details if needed thanks!

I just recently got my 2006 explorer with 48k on it. I experience the same loud fan sound. I thought it was normal till last night, My temp gauge shot into the red and my coolant level light came on. I checked the reservoir, no coolant in sight. parked over night in garage, two small puddles of coolant on either side of the radiator. I'm guessing the radiator has a crack in it. Is this a common problem on the 06's?

It is a common problem on 06 and also on 07 Explorers.
Just changed mine at 50 000 mls.
Bought a Spectra Premium radiator which fitted very well with no problems.
Also I am now using the 16 psi radiator cap instead of the 22 psi cap.

It was in fact a cracked radiator. would've cost over $1000. Thank god I got the premium care warranty.

It is a common problem on 06 and also on 07 Explorers.
Just changed mine at 50 000 mls.
Bought a Spectra Premium radiator which fitted very well with no problems.
Also I am now using the 16 psi radiator cap instead of the 22 psi cap.

Is this recommended? I changed my rad, but not the cap. Just curious....

For your radiator problem you want to have the dealer re-flash the PCM per TSB-09-8-1
I had mine re-programed when the radiator was replaced and haven't had any trouble for the last 18 months. (knock on wood)
if your out of warranty or without the extended service plan I would recommend purchasing a lifetime warranty radiator such as a Visteon unit from radiator.com

Is this recommended? I changed my rad, but not the cap. Just curious....

There are people that have changed their radiator three times. So I decided to avoid this by reducing the internal radiator pressure by using the 16 psi cap, which works very well with no problems at all. I've read here in the forum that several people now are using this 16 psi cap instead of the original one because lower pressure inside of the radiator means less stress for it.
And as long as it works well, why not?

There are people that have changed their radiator three times. So I decided to avoid this by reducing the internal radiator pressure by using the 16 psi cap, which works very well with no problems at all. I've read here in the forum that several people now are using this 16 psi cap instead of the original one because lower pressure inside of the radiator means less stress for it.
And as long as it works well, why not?

Interesting. Did you get the cap from Ford or is it AM?

thermostate lower assembly might be leaking check it if so alot of times you want see coolant due to it being sprayed on the engine and burned off befor it puddles your thermostat and also your fan clutchshould be changed or at least checked to see if its warn out.

good luck and god speed

Interesting. Did you get the cap from Ford or is it AM?

It's not from Ford. It's from a local dealer for a few bucks. Maybe a cap of a second generation Explorer will also fit.

7885511mto.jpg

Had the same problem

Hi folks, new guy. I just bought my third Explorer, an 06 EB, and it had this random overheating problem. I read this thread and others here on this is and started troubleshooting. Fist thing I did was change the thermostat, nope. In case I got a defective one I did it again but this time I pressure tested the system and it held 21lbs for an hour and a half, no joy. The next time it happened I noticed the fan was not spinning as fast as it should and when the engine was revved up the fan didn't accelerate, bingo, random fan clutch failure. I replaced the fan clutch assembly (I don't have the cheap one) and tally... It hasn't happened since. For good measure I later changed the temp sensor since it's right there in front of me.

So about the 16lbs rad cap. Anyone notice any problems with using? It cirtainly would take some load off the radiator.

Thanks to all the folks here with that great money saving insights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

loud roaring and temp spike

Any update or more info on this? I have a 2006 V8 with the same problem and the shop can't figure it out. (no radiator leak) Very intermittent roaring noise when I start from a dead stop and accompanying temp spike. I can shut it off and wait two minutes and all is fine.
I am going to send them the post on the fan clutch but I saw one post that it was the Thermo bypass.

Back