2006 Explorer Clicking when trying to start after jump starting twice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Clicking when trying to start after jump starting twice

Cassidy

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
I've just acquired '06 Explorer when my guypal died several months back. Started it weekly (to move to cut grass and drove it only a little bit [because I was advised by long-time mechanic friend it needed tires]); then one week, mysteriously to me, when the key was turned, it was dead quiet. Jumped it and let it run for at least 20 minutes and moved it. Next day, when I went to drive it, nothing. I jumped it again, started, let it sit for 10 minutes, then drove it for about 20 minutes. Parked it in driveway but as soon as I turned it off and got out, I realized I needed to move it, so I got back in, it wouldn't start but heard clicking. Having trouble locking doors now (either using key or remote); finally got 4 doors locked, but back hatch won't lock. I'll call mechanic Monday but hoping I could know more than I do about what's wrong, and with holiday coming . . . Sorry for long babble, but thanks for any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've just acquired '06 Explorer when my guypal died several months back. Started it weekly (to move to cut grass and drove it only a little bit [because I was advised by long-time mechanic friend it needed tires]); then one week, mysteriously to me, when the key was turned, it was dead quiet. Jumped it and let it run for at least 20 minutes and moved it. Next day, when I went to drive it, nothing. I jumped it again, started, let it sit for 10 minutes, then drove it for about 20 minutes. Parked it in driveway but as soon as I turned it off and got out, I realized I needed to move it, so I got back in, it wouldn't start but heard clicking. Having trouble locking doors now (either using key or remote); finally got 4 doors locked, but back hatch won't lock. I'll call mechanic Monday but hoping I could know more than I do about what's wrong, and with holiday coming . . . Sorry for long babble, but thanks for any suggestions.
Most likely just a bad battery....

It's relatively new, but that's an easy start for this long-time Honda (4-wheel; wish 2-wheel) gal who knows nothing about Explorers but love driving it! Thanks so much!

Have the battery tested...even if it's 'relatively new'...most batteries won't come back after being discharged beyond a certain point.
Make sure the battery terminals are in good shape and clean.
Once the basic stuff is done, and you still have an issue, then you can move on to other things.

Good luck!

Have the battery tested...even if it's 'relatively new'...most batteries won't come back after being discharged beyond a certain point.
Make sure the battery terminals are in good shape and clean.
Once the basic stuff is done, and you still have an issue, then you can move on to other things.

Good luck!
Most likely just a bad battery....

Thanks to you both, nleipziger and Partsman 109! The entire car is spotless - inside, out and under the hood. Battery looked like it was just installed this morning. But looks can be deceiving as we all know. Not sure why I thought the worst (alternator; starter; electrical system; etc.) - jumped it yet again today, drove to advanced auto, they put in a new battery and life rolls on! You were both right and I was so worried when it was only a battery. Geez. In a new area to me with a new-to-me vehicle so I got a tad anxious a tad soon. Thanks again! Thankful for this forum and your help, and your patience! Have a good thanksgiving!

You were both right; new battery worked and got me to tire place for 4 new (phew) tires and found out needs near bearings. Looks like new; now it will run almost like new! Thanks again so much for help!

You're welcome!...glad you got it sorted out!

Back