2006 explorer front drive shaft cv needs replacing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 explorer front drive shaft cv needs replacing

richardodie2

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 explorer xlt
Noticed a vibration coming from under middle to front of ex, tried to find if i could replace the cv joint on this shaft but can't seem to find one, local parts stores only list whole shaft assembly, has any one just replaced cv joint or do you have to buy whole shaft assembly ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noticed a vibration coming from under middle to front of ex, tried to find if i could replace the cv joint on this shaft but can't seem to find one, local parts stores only list whole shaft assembly, has any one just replaced cv joint or do you have to buy whole shaft assembly ?

Just for clairfication are you talking about the axle shafts that go from the differental to the wheels or the drive shafts going between the transfer case and differentials?

Just for clairfication are you talking about the axle shafts that go from the differental to the wheels or the drive shafts going between the transfer case and differentials?
the drive shaft from transfer case to diff

I just checked the parts catalog. Ford only sells it as a complete shaft. The front U-Joint is replaceable, however.

Make sure you don’t buy one of the cheap joints, or you’ll be buying it again, soon. Same for the compete prop shafts.

Curious, is this spinning all the time, even when you are not in 4WD mode?

Curious, is this spinning all the time, even when you are not in 4WD mode?
Yes it is. There's no disconnection from the wheels, as there would be on a vehicle with manual hubs..

The CV is a welded assembly affixed to the rear (t-case) end of the front shaft. Thus, a "partial guts" ineffective) replacement only is possible. Mine has 170K on it, still OK.

The entire joint can be replaced at a driveline shop by welding a new assembly on and rebalancing.

why are replacing the front driveshaft?what was the problem?did it fix it?

why are replacing the front driveshaft?what was the problem?did it fix it?
Why do you keep responding to old threads? Are you trolling?

I'm not trolling, I'm looking for answer for what's going on my truck, I'm going through a similar thing
Have you tried posting direct questions? You might get better responses.

Back