2006 explorer radiator | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 explorer radiator

Hated to pay someone to do repair.

I was going to replace my radiator but did not know how to disconnect the transmission lines, looked on the internet and could not fine procedure, so I had to have it done. My transmission is sealed and I was in the dark as to how to replace the transmission fluid after replacing the radiator. In the past there has been some fluid loss of tranny fluid with replacing one. The repair man said all of the radiators from China are having leaks. I would hope FMC would do something about these in the future. I was told the transmission lines unsnap to be removed from the radiator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was going to replace my radiator but did not know how to disconnect the transmission lines, looked on the internet and could not fine procedure, so I had to have it done. My transmission is sealed and I was in the dark as to how to replace the transmission fluid after replacing the radiator. In the past there has been some fluid loss of tranny fluid with replacing one. The repair man said all of the radiators from China are having leaks. I would hope FMC would do something about these in the future. I was told the transmission lines unsnap to be removed from the radiator.

Thats why I'm getting the OEM part, just to avoid some crappy aftermarket Chinese part...I'll guess I'll find out soon enough if the OEM is better or just as bad.

Interesting option

I just had to replace my second radiator about two weeks ago. I was speaking with a mechanic friend of mine the day after I finished and he recommended a Griffin Radiator. Griffin radiator is located in Piedmont, SC and can build an all aluminum radiator with welded seams (no plastic). I called and spoke with a salesman and he said it might run in the 500-600 dollar range to have it built, and that they would need the leaking radiator to build off of. In a couple years when the radiator starts leaking again I will gladly pay that price to not have to worry about it again.

I just had to replace my second radiator about two weeks ago. I was speaking with a mechanic friend of mine the day after I finished and he recommended a Griffin Radiator. Griffin radiator is located in Piedmont, SC and can build an all aluminum radiator with welded seams (no plastic). I called and spoke with a salesman and he said it might run in the 500-600 dollar range to have it built, and that they would need the leaking radiator to build off of. In a couple years when the radiator starts leaking again I will gladly pay that price to not have to worry about it again.

Really? That is a very interesting fix...might have to try that being that I live in SC. I just got my my explorer back from the shop ($1000 later), and I was really contemplating asking for my old radiator back to take a look at it, but ultimately I didn't b/c it wouldn't have mattered anyway Ive already paid for the new one, so might as well and wait til this one starts to leak. If you end up going that route, please let us know how it turns out.

Hi everyone – great forum I get to join. My wife’s is a 2007 Sport Trac that has gone down that “radiator leaking road”. It’s funny how this starts off the same way in almost all the stories here. My wife complained about the fan “howling” more than normal. Checking the radiator after she mentioned about the fan, it was low in the reservoir. So I topped it off. Funny, at the time I saw no leaks anywhere.

About a week later she called me on the road about the “check engine” light came on and the temp gauge shot-up. By the time she pulled off the parkway the light went off and temp cooled. I topped it off again. When she got back to the house I checked under the truck and still could not find anything leaking.

Another week went by – call from her at the local Wal-Mart. This time it was raining under the truck – anti-freeze just pouring out of the driver-side radiator area. Finally I could see the issue.

Though I really wanted to use factory Ford parts, $550 wasn’t going to happen. NAPA replacement $225 with lifetime warrantee and replaced it myself. Don’t forget to get the gizmo that releases the transmission lines (about $4) and distilled water.

I’m not certain how the 2007 Sport-Trac differs from the 06 Explores, but it did take a little muscle to get the old one out. Push it up and pull it through (toward the engine) from the two lower mounts. New one dropped right in. I wasted about half-a-pint of transmission fluid. Ya, no transmission fill/dip stick, another surprise.

Why, for the love of Henry Ford, would a car that’s 3 years old and have 32K have this type of issue? Of course it was 3 months out of warrantee. My wife loves this truck and we will more than likely own it for many, many years. But now, this issue will be in the back of my mind. Aaaahhh!

My 06 Explorer, Build date: 3-18-06, finally the radiator starting leaking at 68,000 with it gradually getting worse. Ordered the trans line tool from spx, and a vista-pro radiator. Gonna do a tune-up and a coolant flush at the same time. But of course when it starts to leak is when it drops to 20 degrees outside. So I'm awaiting a semi-warm day.

I put some stop leak in my radiator and a whole tube of JB Weld around the leaking line. It slowed the leak down alot, went from two jugs of coolant a month to one jug every three months. Antifreeze is cheaper than a new radiator. Hope this helps

My third radiator is now leaking with only 74,000 miles. I had ford replace the first one under warranty, but I replaced the second one and also had the pcm update that everyone suggested.

I have had the "updated" ford radiator and the cheap one off of ebay. I really don't think it matters what you replace it with, just find the cheapest one with a lifetime replacement because you will be replacing it about every year and half. I also don't think it's worth spending the $100 on the pcm update. It's doesn't help anything.

I've owned two mustangs and two f150's and this is by far the worst vehicle I or anyone else I know have ever owned. I've had all of the typical '06 v6 explorer problems occur at least once and some more than once. I don't think I'll be buying a new f150 that I've been waiting for.....

Just figured I would post an update. So far so good now that I had Ford do it all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this new updated radiator did the trick. My wife loves her Ford and we would like to keep it. JJ
Ok so it's now Jan 17, 2011... Just wanted to get an update of the "OEM" radiator?

Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth.
2006 LTD V8, 50,000 miles, that just started showing a coolant leak, with the drip showing up on that plastic housing on the lower drivers side, shown in pictures earlier in the thread. So it's not just a V6 problem.

I also replaced the clamp on the lower rad house last October. The original one was crap and was leaking, caused a minor overheating episode. The V8s have an override that kicks in that superfan and cuts horsepower (very noticeably) when you have a coolant loss, that forces you to pull over to figure out what's going on. Then you see the coolant pouring out and you know what's wrong, if you didnt notice the temperature gauge!

Last, regarding the transmission fluid, you can add tranny fluid to the V8 trannies with a long tube and funnel, into the fill port (which is a bolt). It's a 2 person task (one down below holding the hose, one pouring the fluid up top) and it helps to have a clear hose so that you can see it flowing in. I changed my transmission fluid and filter in the fall and captured the fluid from the pan, measured it in some clean juice bottles, and then put back the same amount. For those who have the initiative, you can drill the transmission pan in one corner and install a tap/plug ($5 at NAPA) that allows you to drain the tranny fluid just like you drain the engine oil. Makes it much easier and less messy to change the tranny fluid the next time. Doesn't change the tranny fluid filter, but then you don't hesitate to change the tranny fluid more often because it's now easy.

So we'll see how fast I'm losing rad coolant, and hopefully someone answers that last post about the latest recommendations for replacement rads.

Anyone know if the tool to release the trans line is the same as the disconnect tool for disconnecting the earlier model fuel lines from the fuel filter, assuming a 3/8" line?

Yes, I was pleasently surprised to find out that the 3/8" goldfish colored aluminum, fuel line disconnect tool, that I bought at NAPA a few years back for my '03 X, will also release the tranny lines fron my '06 X. I haven't done it "yet," but someome who "did" do it confirmed it to me in a PM that it will work.

Thanks! Just what I was hoping to hear. I've got that tool and the Vista Pro radiator is on it's way.

The "Goldfish" colored 3/8" aluminum "OEM" brand did not work. Nor the plastic 3/8" I had. I believe the one that did the trick was 5/8" and relatively short (to fit past the knurl in the line).

PITA took 3 hours.

shaker1, sorry about the incorrect disconnect tool info. Glad you got it done though.

No problem. I appreciate the info. Had the correct tool on hand anyhow.

Cost $234.28 w/ ship & tax for the radiator.

Also put a clamp on the overflow tube at the radiator neck and reseated the upper radiator hose at the block due to slight seep. We shall see...

Count me in on the radiator leak. I have an 06 EB V8 w/ 40K miles and leak is coming from driver's side bottom corner like the pic on page four. I have an appt. next week.

Count me in on the radiator leak. I have an 06 EB V8 w/ 40K miles and leak is coming from driver's side bottom corner like the pic on page four. I have an appt. next week.

This is a very uncommon problem for the V8 crowd.

I am another V8 with a leaking radiator. 06 EB with 66000 miles. This is ridiculous between the radiator and the cracking exciter rings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a very uncommon problem for the V8 crowd.

I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones. Maybe something to do with the early 06 models.:( On the bright side, I did drop it off today, so I'm just waiting for the word.

Back