2006 Explorer Shift out of park issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Shift out of park issue

sodpar01

Reaction score
City, State
Yukon, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2006 V6 2WD Explorer XLT. I let the engine warm up for a minute, push the brake in, go to shift out of park, and it won't budge...have to pump the brake a few times or push it down more or less, then it will go. Anyone else have this issue? It doesn't do it everytime, but it's getting to be at least once a week. I have noticed when I am in more of a hurry, or husband is, and we start, count to 10 and try, it always does it. Any ideas?

This problem has been listed several times. The problem is the safety relay for the shifter. I had the same problem and had it fixed under the warranty.

TSB # 07-12-09: Shifter Sticks...

Same problem with my '06. Just have the dealership check for the TSB # 07-12-09. They replaced the entire shifter mechanism last weekend under warranty. The part is about $200 out of warranty plus 1-2 hours labor. Now it works better than when it was brand new. The new shifter is a little taller than the old one, but not by much.

Back