2006 Explorer SOFT (low) brake pedal FIXED! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer SOFT (low) brake pedal FIXED!

Fbird

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
Ok this has been discussed before as I have read countless pages of info on it to NO avail.

MY problem:
06 4.0l 2wd Explorer new to me the brakes SUCKED really low pedal. I did a full brake job (rotors n pads) typical pump pump pump bleed....result LOW pedal and almost NO rear brake action. And YES the rear bleed fine...just like usual stuff. When I say no rear brakes...they wouldn't even get hot enough to bed in!

I gravity bled all 4 corners.....LOW PEDAL minimal rear braking
Then I used my vacuum pump to bleed...low pedal..rear sux...ARGH....
Next: I replaced Master cylinder with a NEW (not Motorcraft) unit, bench bleed install....low pedal rear sux
Again bleed everything (with assistant on brake pedal)....nope rear sux
gravity bleed...rear sux
vacuum bleed ....rear sux
replaced the rear rubber lines...bleed everything again....rear sux
again bleed all 3 ways I know how to do....rear sux

Finally break down and buy a MOTORCRAFT master cylinder and start over with bleeding everything
REAR SUX

Use my buddys FORSCAN and run an ABS bleed cycle 2-3 times then rebleed all 4 corners...rear sux...LESS :eek:
go thru all 3 methods of bleeding and still only minimal rear braking.

THEN in a fit of anger I had my assistant pumping the pedal (pump 5 then hold..holler when it hits the floor) we did the REAR brakes about 15 cycles!!!

FINALLY this little truck has rear BRAKES....like a regular vehicle.

CONCLUSION. I don't know WHY the ABS needed to be cycle bleed but even afterward I needed to bleed the brakes a good 15-20 times to finally get it working but boy it is night and day difference compared to what it WAS.

I hope this helps somebody else because I sure as hell have never had to bleed a brake system THIS much to get it to work...but I've never worked on this vehicle before!

It's always good to know what others have experienced. It may help someone in the future.

Back