2006 explorer vehicle speed sensor location? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 explorer vehicle speed sensor location?

engineeering

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer xlt 4x4
Any help would be much appreciated. Im looking for the VSS vehicle speed sensor location for the 2006 ford eexplorer XLT.

I understand there may be two transmission speed sensors (maybe input and output speeds) and I understand there may be one in the transfer case. The transfer case has two extra wires coming from the tcase motor controls and I am wondering it that may be the VSS.

Any help would be really appreciated. Trying to figure out which one is for the dash speedo. Wiring diagrams with wire colors would also be fantastic.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This can't be an 06 if it had the 2 wires coming off the back of the t case they stopped using that in 1997 it was a speedo sensor that had a speedo gear going into the back of the t case if your referring to the sensor which is flat looking there should be 2 that tells the t case to fully engage it compares the speed of the rear wheels to the front. I believe on 06 speed is from the abs module through the 4 wheel abs sensors by any chance do you have a abs light on in your truck? If so I would check codes if not then you prob ment 96 not 06?

Tom

I was just looking at wiring diagrams on my 08 which is really the same as 06 and it goes wheel sensors to abs to can bus to the smart junction to can bus the instrument cluster so if you have no speed first thing I would do is check fuses then see if codes or can see if you have speed to abs sensors if you can see that then you could have a bad module somewhere after abs smart junction or cluster very hard to diagnose over computer. Hope I helped some

Tom

Thanks Tom!!!

This is a picture of my transfer case wires (please ignore text on photo... this will only complicate my question... see my other thread if interested in the swap):
20150919_173307-1200.jpg

It is a 2006. The two wires I'm referring to come "from" the transfer case harness plug... they are the brown and black wires shown. Are these what you are referring to? I'm not sure what they are. I assumed they might be the speedometer sensor wires but they are heavy gauge (not consistent with sensor wires). Do you know what these are?

So is the vehicle speed calculated from the ABS sensors? I understand there are probably 4 sensors (1 for each toner ring on each tire). Is this correct?

Thanks!!

My 2006 transfer case (different than the one shown below) is similar to this t-case illustrated below because it has two additional wires that need to be manually removed from the harness plug when replacing the transfer case motor. Like the image below, mine has two extra wires going directly to the transfer case (not to shift motor like the green & blue in the photo). I'm thinking it might be the speed sensor like the older ones. (you are right... the older older ones have the sensor in the rear diff).
TCaseshiftmotor1.jpg

(picture taken was pulled from forum post here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269615)

Anyways... the long story is... the M5OD-R1HD (manual trans) that I put (I did a swap) in my truck just now... has a dedicated speed sensor in the transmission that is not plugged into anything (for the cluster gauge) and the naitive 2006 auto 5w55(?) Auto trans that I removed (with the tcase) has two extra wires which seems to be a built in speedo sensor that reads the tcase output shaft speed to the rear axle. If these wires are for a speedo sensor... I think wiring them up to the dedicated sensor in the manual transmission might work.

Anyway... I just wired it up that way and want to turn the key! I guess time will tell if the cluster reads the right speeds.

Hahaha I recognized the writing I was just reading your crazy mod hats off to you boy I wouldn't have sold my trans till I got it working though cause you are in a heap of trouble I looked at the conector for the speedo it has no pin referencing speed has the normal stuff like dash lights and info center so that's why I believe it's can bus going in! What year does the ranger go up to and what year does it go up to in manual trans cause you might need to get the modules from that year and tie them in to your existing truck I have to say you took on something pretty cool but this is hard work. I am 99% sure that the abs wheel speed sensors feed the abs module which in line goes to the cluster. That sensor your referring to is the output sensor for the transfer case I would be surprised they would use that cause that isn't speed the wheel sensors are speed related and use the advance trac system to control things. Now just to clarify the sensor on the old 98-2005 used the rear abs ring on the rear axle which still was used through abs 06 up now use the 4 wheel abs sensors.

Good luck to you I'll help as best as I can I can do some digging in my manual for diagrams and see what I come up with but they will be for 08 so could be slightly difrent or not

Tom

So actually you won't have a problem now would you cause if it is the abs sensors you lucked out cause you only messed with the trans! You might have a code for that sensor but you said you hooked it up to the transmission one as long as it gives the same speed as the transfer case one you should be in business! I forgot that you didn't try it yet I was just assuming you did and got 0 mph!

Tom

But any way I would look into module swaps cause you will get check engine light for your transmission it won't see the solinodes etc and idk if that be a problem inspecting in future or not cause it could also do engine problems as well cause computer monitors trans temp torconverter lock up etc

Tom

Whoooooo I just re read your post you responded to me on the brown wire should be going directly into the transfer case and not remove able if correct that is the clutch wire for engaging auto and 4wdh and the black wite would be ground do not hook them up to a sensor they need to be hooked up to the same wires that came off the old t case

Tom

Hey Tom. Thanks for the messages!!

I have the key in my hand and want to fire this thing up! ! Hahahh. OK. So I disconnected the sensor (if I blew up that sensor it's okay cause it's a dummy ranger one that is just plugging a hole in the transmission extension. Lol

So what do I do with the brown and white wire? They are just hanging there cause they are two "extra wires" not on the ranger shift motor. The ranger tcase has NO 2 wires?!? Texting from my phone with key in ignition. Haha

So you have 2 wires coming from the harnes but your missing 2 wires for the transfer case? That means you have a full time all wheel drive t case cause there should be a brown wire coming out of t case unless the ranger had the 2wd 4hi 4 low switch then that would mean that the transfer case has 3 ranges as aposed from our explorers only having 4 hi or 4 low auto was always slightly engaged

Tom

So.. to be extra clear... the picture above of the 06 ex tcase (with red text on it) ... it's the brown and black wires (extra wires on my index finger and thumb) that I have no idea what to do with. Note also... there is a brown and white wite in the shift motor wires too. Those ones are going directly into the shift motor wires were all the same colour for both tcases

Just trying g to figure those other two wires.

Just downloaded your wiring pin diagrams... will dive into them tomorrow night.... very very helpful.

Do those to wires are coming from the t case? Correct? I put a link there from a 08 and 97 of the pins for the conector to show you an idea what they could be but I know the brown wire is cut to replace the motor so could be there might be a wire loose coming from back of conector that's hidden behind the other wires.

Tom

Count the pins in the connector and count the wires and see if your missing a wire I think on a 08 there should 8 wires for the t case

After looking at your swap thread I think you have 7 pins on the ranger t case and 8 on the 08 I think the t case you have on the ranger doesn't have the brown wire which is for 4wd clutch I think it uses the motor for 2wd and 4wd that will be a problem if true ! Cause you won't have 4wd any more and or it will be stuck in neutral. I lol catch up tomorrow on this going to bed lol I live in jersey and its 1 am almost do good luck to you

Tom

There are

7 wires to shift motor on tcase... 2 more wires coming from the harness.. that makes 9 stock for my 06 (going into the harness plug for the tcase).

So.. ranger has the same 7 wires Going to the tcase shift motor.

Will need to find some of those wiring diagrams and figure it out. Worst case I can swap out my tcase for a manual one. But I would like to use my dash buttons if possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I couldn't wait... I had to start it up. Let's just say what I thought could be my maiden voyage wasn't quite what was expected. To start... couldn't get key out of ignition cause I had to manually engage the park switch to do that. Second... it won't send power to the starter. Now that I think of it... I'm not surprised.

All my new pedals have the stock switches engaged with brake in. So that's ruled out. Don't remember needing to have my brake in anyway... probably just brake light controls. I figure it is probably the safety switch for neutral. On the left/bottom side of the stock Auto transmission there was a 11-pin lever switch there that senses the gear it is in.... and hence... when it is in park/neutral (thereby closing the starter's relay circuit). Here's a pick of one.
$_57.jpg

Here is an example diagram showing the auto transmission switch in the transmission.
start-circuit-diagram-gif.jpg

In my case... my clutch switch is there... just not plugged into anything. I may re-wire it to be "safe"... but I might get lazy and just bypass the auto switch and call it a day. I WILL wire up the backup (reverse gear wires) to the reverse sensor in the new manual transmission (it's the red 2 wire plug in the left/top of the M5OD-R1HD. Will need to tap into the reverse gear wires (2 of the 11 wires from the stock harness's safety switch plug.. not sure which ones) and wire them up to the red sensor.

Thank God for google.

So... back to the transfer case. That's my real hurdle here.

Thanks again for all your help Tom. In just the last hour or so you have provided more help on this entire project than I have received building my blog. It's much appreciated.

Back