2006 Explorer | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer

Bwana Bob said:
Will the 2006 have the 4.0 L with a 6 speed tranny, or will the 6 speed only be for the V8? How about a manual trans?

Bob

Please do not take this the wrong way but anyone considering a 2006 probably $30000 plus who would even want to think of a stick shift.
I could not imagine how uncommfortable my 2002 would be with a stick shift..."yuck"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

davidmmm69 said:
Please do not take this the wrong way but anyone considering a 2006 probably $30000 plus who would even want to think of a stick shift.

You can get a stick in a BMW SUV and they cost over 30k.

WOW that just blows me away...

Guess you have to be a special person to want a thirty thousand dollar new SUV and have to shift..

Just my two cents

uhm arrival date? next year???

davidmmm69 said:
WOW that just blows me away...

Guess you have to be a special person to want a thirty thousand dollar new SUV and have to shift..

Just my two cents

Manual trannies are for those who want to be in complete control of their vehicles functions. To many I guess it takes a hand away from their coffee mug and cell phone. Priorities ;)

2006 Ford Explorer Gets New Face
May 4th 2005

And An Optional Mustang V8

When you see this new face on the 2006 Ford Explorer this fall, remember to look behind the grille for what’s really important: a new, higher-output 4.6-liter V8. Like its Mercury Mountaineer sibling that debuted at the Chicago auto show in February, the new-look Explorer gets an optional V8 lifted directly from the 2005 Mustang.

Variable valve timing and three valves per cylinder boost the 4.6-liter’s output to 292 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque, up from 239 hp and 282 lb-ft in the two-valve V8 it replaces. The V8 Explorer also gets a new six-speed automatic transmission.

trannies again

Rick said:
Manual trannies are for those who want to be in complete control of their vehicles functions. To many I guess it takes a hand away from their coffee mug and cell phone. Priorities ;)

When I was in high school driver ed we had to lear both the automatic and manual (3 speeds on the column). I hated the manual and never got good at it. Then in 1971 my folks bought a Datsu 510 with 4 on the floor. I learned to love sticks and every car I've owned for the past 32 years has been a manual, including the Ex.

Speaking of soccer moms, I did meet one mom who drove an Ex with the manual.

The only time I would prefer the automatic is when starting on steep hills or crawling in stop 'n go traffic on snowy, icy roads. It would allow me to creep at extremely slow speeds. Now if I keep my '92 Ex for 20 years, I'll be 60. By then maybe I'll want an automatic. If the Ex dies :roll: before then, I'll have no choice.

The old 4.0 L OHV with the stick and 3.27 gearing is pretty efficient. I average 19 mpg, which is about what Escape owners get with the 3.0 L and automatic, and less truck.

I like the close ratios of the 5 speed stick. It allows me to operate wherever I want on the power/torque curve.

But, the REAL REASON I like the stick is that driving an Explorer with a stick is a SWASHBUCKLING EXPERIENCE. ;)

The 3rd gear is a bit too far from 2nd (4x2 with 3.27 gearing) but otherwise I love the M5OD

dtl 2k2 sport said:
uhm arrival date? next year???

We will start building them in August and they should be on the lots by September.

F14CRAZY said:
The 3rd gear is a bit too far from 2nd (4x2 with 3.27 gearing) but otherwise I love the M5OD

Yes, I have noticed that, especially when driving in 25 mph zones. 2nd gear is a little too low. 3rd gear is a litle too high. I usually opt for 2nd, which pits the rpm at 2000 for 25 mph. I would have liked a low crawler gear below 1st for creeping in stop 'n traffic. That's the one advantage of the automatic trans.

Bob

davidmmm69 said:
if you want a better ride for a brand new explorer or others you have to give up some things including a stiff leaf spring suspension you know what i mean ...

A real SUV is a truck, it's not supposed to ride like a car.

Yup, unfortunatly no more manual trannies. My family has owned 5 X's (4 of which were mine) and they are all manuals. I wouldn't have it any other way. They're cheaper to make, buy, maintain. You have at least twice the control, they have more power, get better gas mileage. As regular daily mixed driving mileage none of them have averaged under 19-20MPG. On the highway most them got at least 21-22MPG and one of them got up to 25MPG.

briwayjones said:

I GUESS THAT IS YOUR OPINION...
IF I WANTED SOMETHING THAT RODE LIKE A TRUCK HEY GUESS WHAT I WOULD GO BUY A TRUCK. THIS IS AN SUV SPORT UTILITY VEHICLE. TO BE USED FOR LIGHT OFF ROAD, TO TAKE THE FAMILY PLACES COME ON THERE IS ROOM FOR 7 IN THERE THAT IS DEFINATLY NOT A TRUCK, ALSOTO GO ON LONG TRIPS AGAIN NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO DO IN A TRUCK...

MY OPINION A SUV IS FAR FROM BEING A TRUCK.
IT WOULD HAVE A BED IN IT TO HAUL A WASHER AND DRYER OR TO PUT SOME DIRT IN IT FOR A LANDSCAPING PROJECT..

"The public's dislike of truck-like characteristics in SUVs has brought about the more-refined current crop of SUVs"

"The main reason is that SUVs are classified by the U.S. government as light trucks, and thus are subject to the less strict light truck standard under the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) regulations. The CAFE requirement for light trucks is an average of 20.7 mpg (US), versus 27.5 mpg (US) for passenger cars."

if they got better gas mileage they would not even be classified as LIGHT trucks by the goverment...
check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUV

briwayjones said:

i cant agree with you more!!! but mine does ride like a caddy cause of the air ride :D

if a explorer isn't a real Suv what do you consider a real SUV??

First and second gen X's. Bronco, Suburban, Tahoe, Excursion, Grand Cherokee ect. The are based on a truck chassis and have solid axles, at least rear. Not 3rd gens. They have real 4WD not AWD. Sometimes you need a truck that can haul 7 people. Like when you want to take a bunch of people boating and you need to haul your heavy boat. Just because fits more than two and doesn't have a bed behind it doesn't mean it's not a truck. A nice riding suspension is not going to be as heavy as a suspension that is good for decent towing. First and Second gen X's, Sub., Tahoes, older Expeditions ect. despite solid axles and truck chassis are by any means not bad riding vehicles. If you want to take 7 people on a long trip with a car like ride than get a Mini-Van or station wagon. But don't start expecting SUV's (trucks) to ride like a car and forcing the market to de-versisfy there vehicles and turn SUV's into something that the market already has, Mini-Vans by turning them into glorified Mini-Vans. If you want a plushy ride get a car, mini-van, station wagon that's what they're made for. If you want a vehicle that can do some work, haul some people in some cases, and needs better 4WD cability than driving in 2 inches of snow than get a truck. Don't eliminate a entire segment of the vehicle market because you want a Mini-Van that's called a SUV instead of a Mini-Van. It kind of sounds like to me that you have the wrong vehicle.

96limitedX said:
i cant agree with you more!!! but mine does ride like a caddy cause of the air ride :D

Well...not quite lol. The Explorer is just plain trucky rough, especially the pre 2002 truck. The ones with the air ride really dont ride any different, the air suspension just serves a load levelling function on the Explorer vs something like a Lincoln where it controls the ride. My only complaint about my Explorer has always been the punishing ride...in fact I think that was my first post on this site...how do I make it ride smoother.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back