2006 Ford Explorer fluid leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford Explorer fluid leak

LockJaw220

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
Hi, I recently bought a used 2006 Ford explorer and after the first night in the garage I noticed it has a fluid leak. The leak seems to be pink in color and is on the passenger side of the vehicle in the area between the tires. Can anyone help me identify what type of leak this could be or the potential causes of the leak. I bought the Explorer from a dealership that was selling the truck for a private owner so I get the feeling I am stuck as far as taking any course of action on the dealership. any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it could be windshield washer fluid.

Only "pink" fluid used would be Mercon ATF that's also used for power steering. Oily or watery texture when touched?

It seemed like an oily texture when touched. Today when I got home and checked under the truck, there was only a drop sized stain on the paper towel I put under it. Last night when I noticed it the spot was alot bigger. about the size of a tennis ball and the truck was running when I noticed it. I haven't run it since I noticed the leak. Thanks for responding.

Check the level in your power steering reservoir, you could have a leak in one of the PS lines since I am pretty sure that Ford still calls for Mercon ATF in it. I just wasn't thinking ATF since it never looks "pink" to me, but if it is oily then it is definitely not windshield washer fluid.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to check it out today to see if I can find the source of the leak or at least narrow it down. does anyone know off hand that if it is just a leak, am I looking at a fairly reasonable price for repair? Everything seems to work just fine with the truck. I don't want to drive it at all though until I know for sure what the problem is. Since I just bought it, I have no idea how long it has been leaking and if it is the transmission I have no way of checking the atf level since they no longer make a dipstick for that.

does anyone know off hand that if it is just a leak, am I looking at a fairly reasonable price for repair?
Huh? :scratch: No way of knowing until you find out where the leak is coming from. Several possible sources.

I was able to get under there and find the source of the leak. there are two lines going into the transmission. it is leaking from the fitting of the top line. Both fittings appear to be tight.

I had the same symptoms on my 2006 Explorer with the 4.0 engine. Turns out it was a crack in the thermostat housing and it was leaking antifreeze. I thought it was transmission fluid because it was red and leaking from that area. $360 for my local mechanic to fix it. Hope this helps :)

I had the same symptoms on my 2006 Explorer with the 4.0 engine. Turns out it was a crack in the thermostat housing and it was leaking antifreeze. I thought it was transmission fluid because it was red and leaking from that area. $360 for my local mechanic to fix it. Hope this helps :)
Red coolant? Possibly Dexcool? If so, it's the wrong coolant for your vehicle. 2006 owners manual
specifies Motorcraft Gold. Ford approved Zerex G-05 may be cheaper and easier to find at NAPA.

(Page 316)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/06expog2e.pdf

Service Coolant Usage Chart
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/scucEN.pdf

Thanks, I'll have to check with the radiator shop that put a new radiator in for me. I wasn't aware there was red anti-freeze until now. I've had nothing but trouble with this truck since I bought it in March:

2 radiators, front wheel bearings, and now thermostat...only has 79000 miles on it.

You do realize that the thermostat housing is about 30 bucks on amazon and takes about 30 minutes to replace?
Check and see if your transmission cooler lines are damp at the rad. Odds are they swapped out an aftermarket rad, and the lines are quick connects are junk. happened to me. Only fix is a new rad unless you have the connectors off the old one.

It ended up being a bad seal on the cooling line fitting. $1 for parts and $99 for the labor. I'm glad I took it in though because I had just bought the vehicle and had no idea how long it was leaking and no way to check the trans oil level. Everything was good though. Thanks to everyone who responded with advice. Greatly appreciated.

Back