2006 Ford Explorer Warranty Extension? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford Explorer Warranty Extension?

jameszr1

Reaction score
City, State
Roscoe, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
I saw on t.v. for the past month where Ford extended the 2006 warranty on the Explorer and other vehicles. Since I bought my car last month, Mid June 06, I called my dealer today and asked him. He said it didn't go into effect until July 15th on the "remaining" 06 models. I told him the commercials didn't say that. I'm now trying to get ahold of Ford. Anyone have any info. If true, anyone want to raise a little hell with Ford?
James :fire:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Makes me feel good about that extended warranty I bought in April. Not.

I work for a Ford dealership in Columbus Ohio and that is correct, the warranty is actually in effect starting July 14th and only on remaining models.

jtudor said:
I work for a Ford dealership in Columbus Ohio and that is correct, the warranty is actually in effect starting July 14th and only on remaining models.

That totally sucks, should be ALL 06's

Phone please...

Well, guess it's time to call Ford customer service in Detroit and tell them how happy :fire: I am now having to buy an extended warranty because I didn't wait one month longer to get the 5 year 50K powertrain warranty. Got me once. Won't get me again. :roll: :thumbdwn:

UNHAPPY WITH FORDS 06 WARRANTY OF 5YRS-50K POWERTRAIN WARRANTY? THAT BEING IF YOU BOUGHT YOUR FORD BEFORE JULY 14TH YOU GET ONLY THE 3-36 WARRANTY. LET FORD KNOW WHAT YOU THINK AT THIS LINK. IT'S QUICK TO FILL OUT YOUR COMPLAINT AND ASK THEM TO EXTEND THE 06 WARRANTY FOR EVERYONE.
https://secure.ford.com/en/support/emailUs.htm :usa:

Sorry, but if you bought your car on Friday, then on Monday they offer a $4000 rebate, you are SOL. It sucks, but it is the way it works. Where I am presently working we are lowering our prices for Canada by a somewhat significant amount for next year, and it isn't going to be retroactively applied to prior sales.

Good luck with asking them to extend the warranty on yours though, maybe it will work (doesn't hurt to ask about it). Your best bet is to be friendly--if you start off nasty with them, the chances of actually getting anything will be greatly decreased.

Just like rebates and incentives...They can change them literally in the middle of the day.
Now they will still honor them if you tell them you saw a better deal and when it expires but unless you do that, you get the current incentive.

2006 Warranty===Call FORD for possible extension

I talked to the customer relations department of Ford this morning. I was told they have received a lot of calls from disgruntled owners of 06 models who did not receive the 5 year-60K powertrain warranty extention. She told me that Ford is considering extending it for ALL 06 models because of the number of calls they are receiving from "unhappy campers". If you want your 06 extended, call their customer rep department with your VIN# and complain. This is your chance now to be heard and things may be looking up. Do it, or don't complain. :thumbsup:

jameszr1 said:
I talked to the customer relations department of Ford this morning. I was told they have received a lot of calls from disgruntled owners of 06 models who did not receive the 5 year-60K powertrain warranty extention. She told me that Ford is considering extending it for ALL 06 models because of the number of calls they are receiving from "unhappy campers". If you want your 06 extended, call their customer rep department with your VIN# and complain. This is your chance now to be heard and things may be looking up. Do it, or don't complain. :thumbsup:

Hopefully this will work out for you and others with the MY06s. Just shows that unless you ask for it, you can't expect anything. Worse thing that happens is you are in the same position as when you bought it.

I just sent my email with VIN to Ford... let's hope they are listening!

I hate to say it but I don't think it will happen. We received a release today about all the people calling in and sending letters. Basically it stated that Ford is receiving complaints but they are remaining firm on current and previous 06 model year customers...I am trying to scan the bulletin we received but it's not showing up correctly.

Why should they care for earlier models when they don´t care for german owners ? When I got mine in feb. 06, 4 weeks later I had a flat and tried to get in touch with the dealer ( Greenway Ford, Orlando, FL. ) . Wrote several emails, sent a letter, no response at all.

Nobody cares, even the warranty says "worldwide warranty".

I love my 06, but it will be definitly the last car I bought outside Europe - to much money for a car w/o warranty ! ( 40´000.- Euros / r.a. 47´000 bucks )

Crizz said:
Why should they care for earlier models when they don´t care for german owners ? When I got mine in feb. 06, 4 weeks later I had a flat and tried to get in touch with the dealer ( Greenway Ford, Orlando, FL. ) . Wrote several emails, sent a letter, no response at all.

Nobody cares, even the warranty says "worldwide warranty".

I love my 06, but it will be definitly the last car I bought outside Europe - to much money for a car w/o warranty ! ( 40´000.- Euros / r.a. 47´000 bucks )

Did you buy your car in the US and move it to Germany? If so, when you moved it to Germany, that is when you lost your warranty. The reason for that is consistancy in application--the grey market between the US and Canada is a problem for the automakers, so to help combat it, the warranty is voided if a US car is sold in Canada (or Canadian car in the US).

I agree that the phrase "worldwide warranty" is misleading, as it really is a warranty for the car in the country for which it was intended to be sold.

Unfortunately that doesn't help you with the problems you have had...

I asked Ford Germany in Cologne by mail - they wrote, if I´m the first registered owner, and the car was bought at a registered Ford-dealer, it doesn´t matter where I live at and where the car was shipped to - the warranty is valid. Warranty would only be void if I would have bought a car with a daily registration or "used" one, even if it would be only 1 month old.

So, what the heck goes up with that crap ? Sorry for my words, but this kinda behavior gripes me up. Could have saved 10´000 buying a 2 mo´s old one from a free dealer, but I took care for the warranty. If I would have known earlier, I´d never ever bought the truck.

Crizz said:
I asked Ford Germany in Cologne by mail - they wrote, if I´m the first registered owner, and the car was bought at a registered Ford-dealer, it doesn´t matter where I live at and where the car was shipped to - the warranty is valid. Warranty would only be void if I would have bought a car with a daily registration or "used" one, even if it would be only 1 month old.

So, what the heck goes up with that crap ? Sorry for my words, but this kinda behavior gripes me up. Could have saved 10´000 buying a 2 mo´s old one from a free dealer, but I took care for the warranty. If I would have known earlier, I´d never ever bought the truck.

Since you have it in writing, try getting Ford De to reimburse you (the dealer you bought from really can't do anything for you even if they were to answer your letters/calls--any warranty claims are run through the finances of country where the work is being performed). If Ford De was telling you that Ford US would cover any work, they were misinformed or wrong.

Ford Answers About Extended Warranty...

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the powertrain warranty for 2007 vehicles.

Retail customers who purchase a 2006 model year product, on or after July 14, will receive a powertrain Extended Service Plan (Ford ESP). Time and mileage limits are 5 years or 60,000 miles on Fords and Mercurys, and 6 years or 75,000 miles on Lincolns. Unfortunately, our policy is that the new coverage applies only to 2006 vehicles sold on or after July 14.

If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Melissa
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

I NOW OWN MY LAST FORD PRODUCT.....

You know it's enough to make me reconsider any future purchase as well....

VERY disappointing for sure!

I do wish Ford would extend my warrant but I completely understand why they are not doing it for those purchased prior to 7.14.06... especially considering that it was at the start of Q3, offering the warranty retroactivly would have resulted in a charge on the next quarters financials to account for the expense of extending all the previous warranties.

It is the same situation as a rebate being offered a few weeks after you buy, no manufacturer is going to honor the rebate, warranty etc after you purchase. Ford is just doing what any other manufacturer would do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jameszr1 said:
Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the powertrain warranty for 2007 vehicles.

Retail customers who purchase a 2006 model year product, on or after July 14, will receive a powertrain Extended Service Plan (Ford ESP). Time and mileage limits are 5 years or 60,000 miles on Fords and Mercurys, and 6 years or 75,000 miles on Lincolns. Unfortunately, our policy is that the new coverage applies only to 2006 vehicles sold on or after July 14.

If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Melissa
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

I NOW OWN MY LAST FORD PRODUCT.....

While I can understand your disappointment, remember that the warranty extension was marketing money. Instead of offering an even higher cash rebate, they offered an extended warranty. When you bought your Ex, did you get 0% financing? If that wasn't offered at the time, them giving you the warranty now is not much different that letting you rewrite your contract to a 0% interest loan (or giving you the extra $1000 cash incentive that is now on the Ex).

Back